Minutes of Post-Study Group Meeting, 2018-11-05

Meeting called to order: 11:05 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/PostStudyGroup/PSG_Meeting_8.pdf

1. Roll Call and Agenda

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions) (joined 11:20)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Firecron Ltd.)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (Arm)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Brad Van Treuren (Nokia)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Sivakumar Vijayakumar (Keysight)

By email (non-attendees):


Brad moved to accept the agenda as proposed, seconded by Terry.

2. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent slides reviewed.
    • No comments.

3. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • October 22 (draft circulated October 22, with correction on October 27)
    • No further corrections noted.
    • Terry moved to approve, Brad seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

4. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 11}
  • [21.1] Brad: Supply Ian with glossary definitions used by 1687.1 for "transformation" and "retargeting".
    • No updates.
    • ONGOING.
  • [27.2] Legacy Initiative Group to propose definition for "SJTAG".
    • No updates.
    • ONGOING.
  • The above may need to be carried over to a future Working Group.

5. Discussion Topics

a) ITC Feedback

  • {Slide 12}
  • Invited Talk:
  • Talk went well, preceding P1687.1/P1687.2 talk gave a lead-in by questioning how they would interact with SJTAG.
  • "Is STAM just a database activity?" - Probably more than that, defining APIs and interactions.
  • "What if I have a choice between using 1687.1 and STAM?" - It's not really a case of choosing one or the other, you can use both because they have different scopes.
  • "Is there and overlap with P1838?" - Maybe a little. P1687.1 had a similar discussion, but these stop at the chip edge. STAM is probably a superset, the "glue" between various standards.
  • "The latest 1149.1 overlaps with P1687?" - 1149.1 describes to a TDR, 1687 describes to an instrument, so deeper than the TDR. Additional notes from Brad: 1687 allows for describing further encoding of the TDR bits to specific cases, such as further addressing of an existing instrument mapping into the scan space that uses a separate address register from the data register of the instrument (e.g., what the Xilinx Gnat example was showing), while being able to describe that relationship.
  • Poster:
  • Heiko was not on the call to report, but Bill noted that a lot of people seemed to be stopping by the STAM poster, which was fairly well placed, so got good visibility.
  • Heiko had some printed copies of the poster to hand out (for some previous ITC's we had prepared tri-fold leaflets).
  • During the P1687.1 meeting there were favourable comments on the format of our poster.
  • General:
  • P1687.2 and P2427 have an interest in what might be going on at system level.
  • P1687.1 meeting drew contrasts with STAM on terminology and found that we differ on what constitutes an Access Link or a Data Link. Michele and Brad tasked to resolve differences.

b) NesCom outcome.

  • Par has been approved until end of December 2022 as P2654 (PDF of approved PAR: http://files.sjtag.org/PAR/P2654.pdf).
  • Adam Cron has suggested the we just get the group going, adopt our P&P and appoint our own election officers. We probably still want to approach people outside our own group to handle elections as the elections officers cannot be candidates for any of the roles under consideration. May approach those who dealt with the other recent elections (Mike Ricchetti as election administrator and Jeff Rearick as election auditor?).
  • Preparing a P&P should be quite straightforward: Should be able to copy almost verbatim from, e.g., P1687.2 as it is based on the latest template and was recently approved by TTSC.
  • We probably ought to send out a formal announcement of the new working group with an invitation to join (as we did when forming the study group). Related to that we ought to make sure the membership list is up to date by getting positive confirmation that those currently listed as study group member wish to continue as working group members. Ian will initiate that via email {ACTION}.  This opt-in is probably necessary to legitimize adding people to the P2654 project roster in the IEEE website.
  • Some use of IEEE facilities will probably be required (rather than simply using the SJTAG website) but we probably ought to avoid too much duplication.
  • IEEE membership is not required to participate in the working group as a general member or observer.  However, voting in the ballot on the standard require Standards Association membership, and officers are required to be IEEE members and SA members.
  • IEEE guidance prefers meeting minutes to be limited to recording decisions and actions, rather than being "narrative" (although this may not be rigidly enforced).

c) "Awareness sessions" on other standards

  • Possible subjects a P1687.2, P2427, P1687.1, 1149.10 and P1838.
  • Enquire with each group if someone could talk about the standard and when they might be available. May actually be useful to do this during the first WG meetings, in case we have new members.
  • We already have links into all of these groups except 1149.10: The following will make enquiries of the indicated projects {ACTION}:
    • Joel - P1687.2 and P2427
    • Brad - P1687.1
    • Eric - P1838
  • We can probably deal will 1149.10 later.

6. Today's Key Takeaways

  • {Slide 13}
  • None.

7. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
    • 1687.1: Transformation, Retargetting.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • SJTAG: Discussion on forums - http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=782
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package (1149.1 opted for "entity" in order to be non-specific).
      • Correction to the above remark: It has been pointed out that 1149.1 actually defines conformance in terms of "component" (c.f. COMPONENT_CONFORMANCE attribute in BSDL), and "entity" only pertains to BSDL where it is simply inherited from VHDL. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).

8. Topic for next meeting

  • WG planning (TBD)
  • 3 Slides from P1687.1 discussions (Brad).

9. Schedule next meeting

  • November 12.  Eric may be late joining.
    • November 19 is Thanksgiving week so may be poorly attended.

10. Reminders

  • None.

11. Any Other Business

  • None.

12. List New Action Items

  • [P8.1] Ian to send email to require confirmation of continued membership of group.
  • [P8.2]
    1. Joel: Enquire on possible introduction on P1687.2 and P2427.
    2. Brad: Enquire on possible introduction on P1687.1.
    3. Eric: Enquire on possible introduction on P1838.

13. Adjourn

  • Brad moved to adjourn, seconded by Eric.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:00 noon EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh