Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.177, 2023-01-30

Meeting called to order:  11:05 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: 

Reference pack 1 is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx (all 2020 material)
Reference pack 2 is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack_2.pptx (all 2021 material)
Reference pack 3 is located here: https://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack_3.pptx (all 2022 material)

iMeetCentral site: https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/sjtag-sg/ 

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo) (chair)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Joel Irby (Self) (joined 11:17)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)


Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Tom Thompson (for IEEE)

2. Agenda

  • Brian moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Brad, no objections.

3. IEEE Slides

  • {Slides 5-13}
  • Patent, Copyright and Behavior slides reviewed without comment.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 14}
  • Meeting #176, January 23 (draft circulated January 23)
    • No corrections
    • Brad moved to approve, seconded by Carl, no objections or abstentions → Approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 15}
  • [174.1] Ian to review D02 vs D02_BGVT to determine what can be brought into D03.
    • No progress this week.
  • [176.1] Brad to attempt to draw up more UML Sequence Diagrams.
    • Brad had updated the diagram from last week and added two more - COMPLETE.
  • Action Item Register: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/ActionItemRegister.xlsx

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 16}
  • P1149.4 ballot invitation has now closed again.
  • TTSC Language Subcommittee is meeting on Thursday.

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Review UML Sequence Diagrams

  • {Slide 17}
  • Review of the amendments to the Host API Sequence Diagram (it is more that the Host API but it was created last week under that discussion). Changed to monochrome to aid incorporation into the standard, optional calls are now in italics, some annotations added.
  • Driver Sequence Diagram: This is an example of a driver and this is specifically for JTAG. May not be a way to easily make this generic.  The calls to the driver API will differ for other examples, and the Transfer Library API is paired with the Driver API.  The Transfer Library API needs to be produced by the system integrator to account for the requirements of the Driver API.
  • Add a box around the Transfer Library API and Driver API to highlight this interdependency, and add annotation to express that this is an example.
  • Model Node Sequence Diagram: Uses the ModelPoint concept.  This attempts to illustrate how an EDA Tool might plug into a P2654 model.  The ModelPoint is a specialised form of Translator.
  • Does the EDA Tool need to provide a client to system services instantiated by the Modelpoint? The EDA Tool may provide the ModelPoint, making this transparent.
  • This is describing how we transition from a non-RVF message domain into a RVF message domain. This needs to be captured in the documentation around the diagram.  This is achieved without the need to expose all of the Transfer Library but carries a cost.
  • Insert the diagrams into 9.1, as they span multiple APIs, so don't sit cleanly within any specific API clause.  Remove the Titles from the PlantUML and replace with Captions in the document.
  • Current WiP document is now IEEESTD-P2654_Draft_D02_BGVT_20230130.docm, on iMeetCentral at https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/p/aQAAAAAFAzxP

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 18}
  • Need to pursue Jeff and Jason on P2654 elections.

9. Takeaways:

  • None. 

10. Glossary: 

  • None
  • Carried over:
    • 2654 Interface Translator Node (2654ITN)
    • Translator: See 2654 Interface Translator Node (2654ITN)
    • Transfer Channel, replacing P2654 Message Channel
    • Network will need to be defined
    • PTPG - Programmable Test Pattern Generator/Generation
    • Better define structural test boundary vs functional test
    • Transfer module/library
    • Injection transfer module/library
    • RVF Message (to be refined)
    • RVF Command (to be refined)
    • "Tooling" - need to be clear on what is meant.
    • "True System".
    • Comment that "End-User" is subject to perspective and so needs to be qualified.
    • ModelPoint.
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • February 6, 2023

12. Topic for next meeting

  • Continue API Review.

13. Reminders

14. List New Action Items

  • None.

15. Adjourn

  • Brad moved to adjourn, seconded by Heiko.
  • Meeting adjourned at 11:57 AM EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh