Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.171, 2022-11-28

Meeting called to order:  11:03 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: 

Reference pack 1 is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx (all 2020 material)
Reference pack 2 is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack_2.pptx (all 2021 material)

iMeetCentral site: https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/sjtag-sg/ 

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo) (chair)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Joel Irby (Self)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)


Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)
Tom Thompson (for IEEE)

2. Agenda

  • Eric moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Brian, no objections.

3. IEEE Slides

  • {Slides 5-13}
  • Patent, Copyright and Behavior slides reviewed without comment.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 14}
  • Meeting #170, November 21 (draft circulated November 21)
    • Eric moved to approve, seconded by Brad, no objections or abstentions → Approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 16}
  • Elections for TTSC officers are currently in progress.

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Document structure

  • {Slide 17}
  • Continue with populating the API definition at clause for the create method and its arguments.
  • Correction to revert the clauses on children_uids and children_names lists to use 'shall' and move the optional cases when there are no children into the Permissions.
  • There do not appear to be any Recommendations at this time - likely delete empty headings in final tidy up.
  • This forms the 'template' that can be applied in slow-time for the other methods in this API.
  • Move onto Injection API, which also has a create method and is very similar to the Transform API.
  • Brad described general behaviour.
  • Much of the code and commentary used for the Transform API is the same or similar, so copied into Injection API.  Edited to replace 'Transform' with 'Injection'.
  • Note that there are references that might presume knowledge on 1687/P1687.1, e.g. mention of 'iApply'.  Removed references to retargeter as this is not relevant for P2654 (this will also need to be addressed in the Transform API text - Brad will make those edits before uploading the document to iMeet).
  • Self-references to (P)2654 will need to be tidied if these are retained in the final draft.
  • Talked a lot about 'protocols', particularly in regard to JTAG, but in other cases we'll also need to consider 'commands', e.g. for players for SVF and STAPL, or for register access. 
  • Current WiP document is now IEEESTD-P2654_Draft_D02_BGVT_20221128.docm, on iMeetCentral at https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/p/aQAAAAAFAMho

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 18}
  • No progress on elections for this group so far - it is understood that Jeff is otherwise occupied presently.

9. Takeaways:

  • None. 

10. Glossary: 

  • None
  • Carried over:
    • 2654 Interface Translator Node (2654ITN)
    • Translator: See 2654 Interface Translator Node (2654ITN)
    • Transfer Channel, replacing P2654 Message Channel
    • Network will need to be defined
    • PTPG - Programmable Test Pattern Generator/Generation
    • Better define structural test boundary vs functional test
    • Transfer module/library
    • Injection transfer module/library
    • RVF Message (to be refined)
    • RVF Command (to be refined)
    • "Tooling" - need to be clear on what is meant.
    • "True System".
    • Comment that "End-User" is subject to perspective and so needs to be qualified.
    • ModelPoint.
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • December 5, 2022
  • Last meeting of 2022 will be December 12

12. Topic for next meeting

  • Populate Rules for the Injection API.

13. Reminders

14. List New Action Items

  • None.

15. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Brad.
  • Meeting adjourned at 11:59 AM EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh