Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.165, 2022-10-17

Meeting called to order:  11:05 AM EDT

As the meeting was inquorate until Brad joined, items 3, 6 and 8 were taken out of order.

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: 

Reference pack 1 is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx (all 2020 material)
Reference pack 2 is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack_2.pptx (all 2021 material)

iMeetCentral site: https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/sjtag-sg/ 

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo) (chair)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Joel Irby (Self)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services) (joined 11:06)

Tom Thompson (for IEEE)

Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

2. Agenda

  • Eric moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Brian, no objections.

3. IEEE Slides

  • {Slides 5-13}
  • Patent, Copyright and Behavior slides reviewed without comment.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 14}
  • Meeting #164, October 10 (draft circulated October 10)
    • No corrections.
    • Eric moved to approve, seconded by Brad, no objections or abstentions → Approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 16}
  • Jeff has added more content to his outline for P1687.1 but hasn't shared it yet.  Content is probably less important to us than general flow.

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Document structure

  • {Slide 17}
  • Continued to review of outline for P1687.1 standard provided by Jeff (https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/p/aQAAAAAE-qIF) clauses 7 and 8. Skimmed over the diagram at 7.1 last week.
  • Top is "generic flow". We noted a different flow applies for injection. We likely need more than two diagrams as we also need to consider where there's no left-hand host.
  • We will also want to illustrate a model node.
  • 7.1.1 goes into Brad's slide, which may be too complicated for the standard and we need that plus another on the injection process. UML Sequence Diagrams probably won't do enough, but even in UML the Sequence Diagrams don't stand alone and need supported by e.g. Class Diagrams, so there may be a way to cover it.  The current diagram is also representing architecture.  Sequence Diagram could replace the tables.
  • 7.1.2 deals with the arrows doing delegation. The idea is that the code there becomes generic.
  • Debate about the right hand side: Is a wrapper part of P1687.1 or P2654.  If it's in P1687.1 then it gives a transparent handover between P2654 and P1687.1.  On the other hand, no other interface will give us that and P2654 will need to deal with any wrapping.  We probably need to define how to assemble the wrapper.
  • 7.2.1 is the main differentiator between P1687.1 and P2654: 1687, P1687.1, 1149.1-2013 are all driven by retargeting while P2654 is all about translation.
  • Concurrency will need some sort of "synchronisation event".
  • 7.2.2: We'd hope to be able to re-use much of the content on the APIs.
  • Data Aggregation in 7.2.3 seems to maybe be pre-empting 7.2.4's serialization which we need. We don't really care what the data is though.
  • We need both blocking and non-blocking messages as in 7.2.5.
  • We'll need similar error handling to that in 7.2.6.
  • 7.2.7: No specific format yet, depends on whether we use ProtoBuf. We may be able to PDL for injection.
  • In 8 we expect re-use of APIs (as in 7.2.2).  Translator will have some overlaps with Transformation.
  • For 8.2, Brad talked through an example C++ header file, TransformStrategyInterface.hpp (https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/p/aQAAAAAE-ur_) for the Transform Library API.  Currently looking into a pure 'C' version as this may be more portable but Google ProtoBuf does not have a built-in code generator for that.
  • For 8.2.1, while we may or may not use ProtoBufs, the three purposes stand:
    • Define the grammar for primitive operations at the interface
    • Describe the features of the interface which can be utilized
    • Define the structure of data being transferred between interfaces
  • 8.2.2. We want to be able to support binary/private procedures. 

7 b) Flesh out A and B boards on 57 - 61

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 18}
  • Jeff Rearick and Jason Doege volunteered as Elections Officers.  Ian will need to send them a list of voting members so they can start the process {ACTION}
  • Ian is in the process of setting up a new server for the interactive elements of the current website.

9. Takeaways:

  • Many - refer to main discussion at 7a. 

10. Glossary: 

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • Transfer Channel, replacing P2654 Message Channel
    • Network will need to be defined
    • PTPG - Programmable Test Pattern Generator/Generation
    • Better define structural test boundary vs functional test
    • Transfer module/library
    • Injection transfer module/library
    • RVF Message (to be refined)
    • RVF Command (to be refined)
    • "Tooling" - need to be clear on what is meant.
    • "True System".
    • Comment that "End-User" is subject to perspective and so needs to be qualified.
    • ModelPoint.
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • October 24, 2022
    • Brad may be out.

12. Topic for next meeting

  • Compare P2654 structure with Jeff's outline

13. Reminders

14. List New Action Items

  • [165.1] Ian to send Jeff Rearick and Jason Doege a list of voting members.

15. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Brian.
  • Meeting adjourned at 11:54 AM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh