Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.136, 2022-01-10

 Meeting called to order:  11:04 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: 
http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_136.pdf

Reference pack 1 is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx (all 2020 material)
Reference pack 2 is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack_2.pptx (all 2021 material)

iMeetCentral site: https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/sjtag-sg/ 

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo) (chair)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Carl Walker (Cisco)

Guests:
---

Excused:
Joel Irby (AMD)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Tom Thompson (for IEEE)

Ian noted that both Terry Duepner and Jon Stewart have indicated that they will not be continuing to participate in the WG meetings.

2. Agenda

  • Heiko moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Brian, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed without comment.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #135, December 13 (draft circulated December 13)
    • No corrections noted.
    • Peter moved to approve, seconded by Heiko, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 13}
  • 1149.1 - Heiko hopes to get the Review Study Group started later this month. Some interest expressed via LinkedIn.

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) The structure of the document (informative and normative), rules?

  • {Slide 14}
  • Consideration of IEEESTD-P2654_Draft_D01_BGVT_20211115.docm.
  • Previously noted that the Introduction on page viii may need to re-worked to perhaps provide more context and to be "attractive" in the first few paragraphs.
  • In our last meeting, some of the material in section 4 was felt to be overly detailed for this clause.  Possibly some of the material in 4.4 could be moved to clause 5 and some in 4.5 could move to clause 6.
  • On the other hand, some aspects of clause 8 may be beneficial to be in clause 4.
  • In essence, clause 4 is probably non-normative (informative) while clauses 5, 6, and 7 will be (mainly) normative.  Clause 8 is likely non-normative.
  • Clauses 10 and 11: Extended and Advanced - what's the difference?  We did discuss this before but we haven't noted anything here to remind us what the difference is or why we need both.
  • There is little or no content beyond clause 4.4 other than some early notes taken from our bullet point lists from 2020.
  • Clause 4.1 is titled as "Introduction" (c.f. "Introduction" on page viii) Is there overlap/duplication or do we need to re-title 4.1?
  • Some of the material in clause 4 is probably quite appropriate but there are parts, such as the diagrams on page 13 that are digging into detail and may be better in a normative section.
  • It seems fair to explain how P2654 can leverage interface standards in clause 4.4.1 but do we need to enumerate them?
  • Clause 1.4 feels like an extended contents list - should it offer more? Maybe use it to detail which clauses are normative and which are not.

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 15}
  • Ian will likely send out an email to confirm continued interest in being on the STAM mailing list as some people have not engaged at all since the Study Group.

9. Takeaways:

  • None. 

10. Glossary: 

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • Network will need to be defined
    • PTPG - Programmable Test Pattern Generator/Generation
    • Better define structural test boundary vs functional test
    • Transfer module/library
    • Injection transfer module/library
    • RVF Message (to be refined)
    • RVF Command (to be refined)
    • "Tooling" - need to be clear on what is meant.
    • "True System".
    • Comment that "End-User" is subject to perspective and so needs to be qualified.
    • ModelPoint.
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • January 24, 2022
    • No meeting on January 17 due to MLK Day.

12. Topic for next meeting

  • Review the structure of the document.
  • Review any comments on the document.

13. Reminders

14. List New Action Items

  • [136.1] All - Review current submission in iMeet and provide comments in spreadsheet form.
    (See template circulated with minutes)

15. Adjourn

  • Brian moved to adjourn, seconded by Peter.
  • Meeting adjourned at 11:45 AM EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh