Minutes of Weekly Meeting, 2017-08-07

Meeting called to order: 11:05 AM EDT

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo MW Ltd.)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions Ltd.)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Heiko Ehrenberg (Goepel Electronics)
Bill Eklow (Independent Consultant)
Brad Van Treuren (Nokia) (joined 11:08)

By Proxy:
---

Excused:
Peter Horwood (Firecron Ltd.)

2. Review and approve previous minutes:

  • Approval of July 31 minutes (draft circulated on 07/31/2017)
    • No corrections noted.
    • Eric moved to approve, seconded by Heiko, no objections or abstentions.

3. Review old action items

  • All: do we feel SJTAG is requiring a new test language to obtain the information needed for diagnostics or is STAPL/SVF sufficient? See also Gunnar's presentation, in particular the new information he'd be looking for in a test language (http://files.sjtag.org/Ericsson-Nov2006/STAPL-Ideas.pdf) - CANCELLED
  • Ian: Add the previously discussed lists to the 'master' template. Ongoing.
    • Some sections need further expansion that may take time to develop. - CANCELLED

4. Reminders

  • Possible invitation for Al Crouch to talk about Parallel SIBs.

5. Discussion Topics

a. Transition to study group.

  • There have been six further notes of interest since the last meeting, making a total of eleven potential new members, although it was expected that at least three or four of those would only wish to be "observers", at least initially.
  • Adam Cron has been working with IEEE to get an iMeeting Central space and an IEEE Listserv email reflector set up for us (and similarly for the "ATest" group that was approved at the same time as us). It's not clear how we will reconcile the use of these with the existing group website and resources. It may be something that needs to be worked out as the group develops.

b. Agenda for "kick-off" meeting.

  • The meeting invite had been sent and included a modified copy of the slide pack Heiko had used for the TTSC meeting.
  • Ian outlined the agenda he proposed to use for the first meeting:
    • Introductions
      • Shouldn't be too lengthy, but important that everyone gets to learn who everyone else is. Name, affiliation, current role. Try avoid long career histories.
    • Role of the Group
      • Background, why the title is what it is, objectives of the study group - establish interest/feasibility for a standard, scope and draft a PAR. Timescale for the effort.
    • Outline on group policies
      • Mainly establishing voting rights, and what constitutes a quorum - that latter means we need to try to encourage regular participation. P1838 P&P as "guidance". Rather spend the group's time on "work" instead of tinkering with procedures.
    • Schedule of meetings
      • Currently Mondays at 11 Eastern. May not suit the expanded membership. Timetable for draft minutes, comments and approval. Use of email "proxies".
    • Officers
      • Current acting officers. Determine which officers the group needs, and set up a plan for nominations and elections.
      • Bill asked if Adam Ley intended to participate as he had extensive experience of the standards business and would be good at "keeping the group right" as well as being an excellent secretary. Ian replied that Adam had indicated that he would be joining, but probably as an "observer" to begin with.  In any case, Ian assumed that Adam was acting as, effectively, TTSC's "monitor" of the group.
    • Website awareness
      • Notwithstanding the earlier remarks on iMeeting Central and Listserv, make people aware of the existence of the current website resources. Not a tutorial on how to use them, just show what exists: Main website (minutes, green papers), forums, wiki (glossary, draft white paper), file manager.
    • Open forum
      • Members chance to say what they expect from the group, how it would affect their industry sector.

  • Ian hoped to be able to get all this into the first meeting, but was prepared for the Open forum to be carried over to the following meeting. Eric expected that this would be the likely  outcome.
  • Brad noted that the open forum would be a chance to learn whether people were device-centric, board-centric or system-centric in their general views. Ian commented that some people's view of "a system" may be on such a huge scale that it was outside of our (reasonable) scope. The notes in the slide pack ought to served to set some expectation in that regard.
  • Areas we haven't really thought about but that could be represented might include IoT, and cloud systems (e.g. a VM becoming aware of a fault and trying to correlate that to the physical hardware on which the VM is running).
  • Ian was reminded that the member introductions need to be kept short, possibly by setting out specific items for each contribution.
  • Eric noted that the important thing to get across is what the end objective is, and that is the draft PAR and the timescale for doing that.
  • If, as is expected, the new group is significantly larger, moderation will undoubtedly be a more of a challenge. It is probably wise to insist on using the "Raise Hand" feature for someone to interrupt the speaker. Ian may choose to "Mute All" and then enable individual speakers as required.  The dynamic is likely to be very different to what we've been used to, and the key is to make sure the meeting runs smoothly
  • It was noted that some people have not used WebEx before, so should be advised to join the meeting early in order to get set up. Ian will include that advice when sending out the agenda, along with a caveat to watch for the meeting URL being broken by a newline (this seems to be an almost random occurrence). 

6. Topic for next meeting

  • As above.

7. Key Takeaway for today's meeting

  • None.

8. Glossary terms from this meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • Definition of "interchangeability" required.
    • 'Instance' (or a more specific version of the term) may require definition in future.
    • 'Master through Slave Mode'
    • 'Master to Master Mode'
    • Need a refined definition of "system" for the purposes of the PAR.
    • 'Priority' - may relate to 'frequency' and 'urgency' in distinct definitions.

9. Schedule next meeting

  • August 14. Heiko will be out.
  • August 21, 28.

10. Any other business

  • Ian hopes Michele will be able to provide a fuller report on the TESTA tutorial in due course.

11. Review new action items

  • None.

12. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Brad.
  • Meeting adjourned at 11:44 AM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh