Minutes of Weekly Meeting, 2017-07-17

Meeting called to order: 11:03 AM EDT

1. Roll Call

Brad Van Treuren (Nokia)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)
Peter Horwood (Firecron Ltd.)
Heiko Ehrenberg (Goepel Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies) (joined 11:05)
Bill Eklow (Retired) (joined 11:15)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions Ltd.) (joined 11:32)

By Proxy:
---

Excused:
Ian McIntosh (Leonardo MW Ltd.)
Eric Cormack (expected to be absent for first 30 minutes of meeting)

2. Review and approve previous minutes:

  • Approval of July 10 minutes (draft circulated on 07/10/2017)
    • No corrections noted.
    • Brian moved to approve, second by Peter; no objections; -> approved.

3. Review old action items

  • All: do we feel SJTAG is requiring a new test language to obtain the information needed for diagnostics or is STAPL/SVF sufficient? See also Gunnar's presentation, in particular the new information he'd be looking for in a test language (http://files.sjtag.org/Ericsson-Nov2006/STAPL-Ideas.pdf)
  • Ian: Add the previously discussed lists to the 'master' template. Ongoing.
    • Some sections need further expansion that may take time to develop.

4. Reminders

  • Consider Adam's three points (from the action from the first weekly meeting) and suggest what is preventing us from answering those questions:
    • Establish consensus on goals and constraints
    • What are we trying to achieve?
    • What restrictions are we faced with?
  • Forum thread for discussion: http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=172
  • Possible invitation for Al Crouch to talk about Parallel SIBs.

5. Discussion Topics

a. Study Group actions - is there anything we need to do now?

  • Name of the Study Group:
    • Adam Cron (chair of TTSC) noted that "SJTAG sounds limiting considering the target you seem to be reaching for." and suggested using "System DFT Access";
    • Ian thought that "the [limiting] aspect Adam sees in ‘SJTAG’ is only a limitation if you equate JTAG to 1149.1 rather than the broader concept that JTAG originally set out with, …" and that "we’d probably still need to refer to ‘SJTAG’ as a short form title as we have so many assets that use that, but a more descriptive title might be helpful."
    • Ian is also "not convinced putting DFT in there as Adam suggests helps or is necessarily accurate, but ‘System Test Access’ sounds too much like what 1149.5 was trying to do."
    • Brad agrees that SJTAG is more than DFT and "System DFT Access" is therefor probably not a good name;
    • 1149.5 was "IEEE Standard for Module Test and Maintenance Bus (MTM-Bus) Protocol" … so "System Test Access" doesn’t seem such a bad idea;
    • Our study group name should reflect the fact that our target could be a system made up of multiple boards, or a single board; different levels of hierarchy and different relationships between system components need to be addressed;
    • We want to standardize how to deal with the infrastructure of the "system" for test (and other use cases, such a programming, monitoring, etc.);
    • And in the particular case of test, we also want to address more than just structural test;
    • Brian suggested something like "test engineering and maintenance access" (TEMA); rearranging to "test engineering access and maintenance" would give us TEAM;
    • {Bill joined}

  • Invitation text for a call for participation in the Study Group:
    • Ian noted that in order to maximise the available Study Group time we should aim to get that to Adam this week, so that we can get any additional participants engaged as soon as possible. A key element probably is to say what the study group’s aims are (which are not necessarily what the standard’s aims might be).
    • Aims of the {insert appropriate name here} Study Group:
      We stated these goals in the past:
      * Make the "conventional" JTAG capability accessible through the system hierarchy
      * To extend the JTAG capability to use cases beyond the "conventional"
      * Provide coordination between diverse standards for Data Links and Access Links
    • Based on problem statement, need statement, and aforementioned goals, Heiko proposes to draft a call far participation text for review by the group;

  • Study Group activity visibility on SJTAG website:
    • Ian: "Another thing I'd like to consider (from my personal perspective) is whether we ought to do something to delineate the Study Group work from everything that went before on the website - I'm not thinking about anything major, maybe just putting the Study Group minutes into their own "category" on the menu, or something like that."
    • The group thinks that is a good idea {Action Ian}
    • {Eric joined (11:32)}
    • {Peter left (11:32)}

b. Building Blocks - Use Case of a simple Interconnect Test - Translating AccessLink specification.

  • Tabled for now.

6. Topic for next meeting

  • Study Group name and participation invite.
  • ITC poster ?
  • ITC fringe meeting ?

7. Key Takeaway for today's meeting

  • None.

8. Glossary terms from this meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • Definition of "interchangeability" required.
    • 'Instance' (or a more specific version of the term) may require definition in future.
    • 'Master through Slave Mode'
    • 'Master to Master Mode'
    • Need a refined definition of "system" for the purposes of the PAR.
    • 'Priority' - may relate to 'frequency' and 'urgency' in distinct definitions.

9. Schedule next meeting

  • July 24, 31.

10. Any other business

  • Poster for ITC ?
    • Bill is Poster Chair
    • we probably would have a good chance to get accepted;
  • Fringe meeting at ITC?
    • Bill will check with Yervant Zorian to see if we can have a meeting slot on Wednesday after the poster session;
  • Ian hopes Michele will be able to provide a fuller report on the TESTA tutorial in due course.

11. Review new action items

  • Heiko to draft a call far participation text for review by the group;
  • Ian to consider a way to delineate the Study Group work from everything that went before on the SJTAG website;

12. Adjourn

  • Brad moved, Carl seconded.
  • Meeting adjourned at 11:48 AM EDT

Heiko Ehrenberg