Minutes of Weekly Meeting, 2013-10-21

Meeting called to order: 11:07 AM EDT

1. Roll Call 

Ian McIntosh
Eric Cormack
Carl Walker
Heiko Ehrenberg
Tim Pender
Brian Erickson (joined 11:12)
Brad Van Treuren (joined 11:23)

Excused:
Peter Horwood
Adam Ley
Patrick Au

2. Review and approve previous minutes:

9/30/2013:

  • Draft circulated 9/30/2013.
  • No corrections noted.
  • Insufficient attendees to vote on approval.

10/7/2013:

  • Draft circulated 10/7/2013.
  • No corrections noted.
  • Insufficient attendees to vote on approval.

10/14/2013:

  • Draft circulated 10/14/2013.
  • No corrections noted.
  • Carl moved to approve seconded by Heiko.  No objections or abstentions.

The outstanding minutes from 9/30 and 10/7 will be moved to approval by email.


3. Review old action items

  • All: do we feel SJTAG is requiring a new test language to obtain the information needed for diagnostics or is STAPL/SVF sufficient?
    See also Gunnar's presentation, in particular the new information he'd be looking for in a test language
    (http://files.sjtag.org/Ericsson-Nov2006/STAPL-Ideas.pdf)
  • Harrison will attempt to come up with a table of use cases and their associated layer and what can be done at that layer. Ongoing.
  • Ian/All: Look for real world examples of boards that we could take through from board test to a system test implementation as a worked example case. Ongoing.
  • Ian - Add the previously discussed lists to the 'master' template. Ongoing.
    Some sections need further expansion that may take time to develop.
  • Ian - Circulate enquiry on future meetings times.
    A "Doodle Poll" has been initiated - COMPLETE.

4. Reminders

  • Consider Adam's three points (from the action from the first weekly meeting) and suggest what is preventing us from answering those questions:
  • Establish consensus on goals and constraints
  • What are we trying to achieve?
  • What restrictions are we faced with?
  • Forum thread for discussion: http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=172

5. Discussion Topics

a.  Meeting time conflicts with 1149.10 - possible resolutions?

  • Ian had yet to speak with CJ Clark again about this but would do so soon.
  • {Doodle Poll shared}
  • The current time of 11 ET Monday and 11 ET Thursday were polling evenly: Thursday did not suit a couple of people while others had not selected the current slot due to the conflict with Dot10.  During the discussion, Eric submitted his response which tipped the balance towards Monday.
  • The option of alternating between Monday and Thursday was considered. It would perhaps become confusing and there might need to be a "blank" week following a Thursday meeting to give a reasonable gap.  Heiko suggested waiting to see how things develop and it was agreed to stay with the current slot for the time being.

b.  Updated website - go live?

  • {Staging site shared}
  • Ian felt that the site was complete and had found no reason to make any further updates in the past week, and proposed that it could now be taken "live".  Back-ups would be taken of both the new and existing sites to protect in case it became necessary to restore the current configuration so it would require a couple of evenings work.
  • Heiko moved to approve making the new site live, seconded by Tim.
  • On a related note, the software for the forums had been updated, and a new "style" installed which would reduce maintenance effort while following some of the color cues from the main site.
  • {Forums shared}
  • Because of the darker background, Ian had created a variant of the new logo to suit.  This meant we now had a version for light backgrounds and a version for dark backgrounds, which could be useful in due course.  Ian talked over some of the features of the new style, noting that it did not affect functionality, just the appearance.
  • Additionally, a linked style had been added to support mobile devices.  Heiko had tested this as Ian could not and reported that he was able to switch between "mobile" and "full" styles, and that it had automatically defaulted to the mobile style when using his iPhone.  The mobile style is simpler and contains less graphical "clutter" and is kinder on bandwidth.
  • Brad moved to approve the new style, seconded by Eric.
  • The wiki software had also been brought up-to-date, but no styling changes are necessary and only the logo image needs to be updated. 

c.  BTW - Can we present anything?

  • Bill Eklow has access to a Cisco Facility North of Austin but seems to be looking for somewhere more convenient.  Dates are still tentative.
  • We had a thought earlier in the year on doing something like a workshop, but Brad felt that, given the type of material presented at ITC this year by Zoe Conroy on the iNEMI activity, we could present our Templates and look for feedback.  No other suggestions were offered and felt it was worth giving the group a little time to think about this and offer any suggestions {ACTION on All}.

d.  Go/NoGo Instrumented Test with Multiple Loopbacks at One End - Verify/amend.  Review what we've accomplished.

  • The template was shared:
    http://wiki.sjtag.org/index.php?title=Go/NoGo_Instrumented_Test_of_AC_Coupled_Links_with_Multiple_Loopbacks_at_One_End
  • Tim wanted to clarify if this was intended to be accomplished using ATPGs and Dot6 or if it was reliant on embedded instruments.  Brad replied that it used embedded instruments that could support tests like BER, etc.; there was nothing in Dot6 that would provide a loopback.
  • OPERATION OVERVIEW BEING ANALYZED
    • Ian had realized that the use of "simultaneously" here was probably inaccurate. Brad noted there were potentially several scenarios here - One Tx with many Rx, one Rx with many Tx or a broadcast arrangement.
    • These were added as sub-bullets, with the removal of the word "simultaneously" from the main bullet.
  • CONSEQUENCES
    • Add remarks to note that there is a risk that the diagnostic might be partially lost if the fault lies in a common Rx or common Tx lane.
  • Ian wondered if it was necessary to assume there was some means of selecting the lanes to use.  Brad agreed, noting that it needed to be a mechanism available in the instrument and accessible through JTAG. As time was short Ian would add this to the other loopback templates outside the meeting. {ACTION}

6. Key Takeaway for today's meeting

None.

7. Schedule next meeting

  • Next Meeting:
    October 28 - 3 PM GMT.
  • November schedule:
    4 (11 AM EST, 4 PM GMT), 11, 18, 25.
    Thanksgiving may restrict attendance on 11/25.

8. Any other business

  • None.

9. Review new action items

  • All - Consider material for BTW: Either specific sub-topics related to our Templates or any other alternative subject we could present.
  • Ian - Update loopback templates to note assumption that instruments provide a mechanism to allow lane selection via JTAG.

 10. Adjourn

Eric moved to adjourn at 12:04 PM EDT, seconded by Tim.

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh