Minutes of Weekly Meeting, 2008-10-13

Meeting called to order at 8:20am EDT

1. Roll Call

Brad Van Treuren
Peter Horwood
Ian McIntosh
Carl Nielsen
Carl Walker
Eric Cormack
[Heiko Ehrenberg is excused]

2. Review and approve 10/6/2008 minutes

Minutes approved (Moved by: Ian, Second by: Carl W.)

3. Review old action items

  • Adam proposed we cover the following at the next meeting:
    • Establish consensus on goals and constraints
    • What are we trying to achieve?
    • What restrictions are we faced with?
  • Establish whether TRST needs to be addressed as requirements in the ATCA specification if it is not going to be managed globally (All)
  • Adam review ATCA standard document for FRU's states
  • Brad to contact Rohit regarding IEEE policy for interviews.

4. Discussion Topics

    1. ITC participation
      • (Planned attendees to fringe meeting: Carl W., Carl N., Brad)

 

    1. Officer Role proposals (Ian and Brad Overview)
        • Chair (must be IEEE-SA member for formal WG, IEEE Standards Companion says chair is appointed by the Sponsor (TTTC)? Supplies regular reports to Sponsor)
        • Vice-chair (PAR training notes say must be IEEE-SA but Standards Companion doesn't suggest that, Deputizes in chair's absence, stands-in for chair if chair wants to engage in debate)
        • Secretary (We've never had one, do we need one? Could also be Ballot Co-ordinator - "Keeper of the Roster")
        • Editor (Only really has a role once the PAR is in and we start to properly collate a draft standard. [Ian advises: An SJTAG standard could be a complex document and hard to maintain][Brad: Editors are responsible for the entire assembly of the document. There may be multiple authors allowed for various sections which are assembled by the Editor])
      • [Brad] Ian and myself have been splitting the role of Secretary right now with assistance from Heiko and Peter on the note taking. I would strongly recommend you consider adding a Secretary to the leadership to allow the chairman to run the meetings more efficiently instead of pausing to record minutes during the meeting.
      • [Brad] Are there any comments regarding these roles?
      • [Ian] There is style guide that is to be used for the drafts which the editor should follow.
      • [Brad] Are there any members willing to be available for any of these roles?
      • [Ian] I am willing to work in any of these roles to serve where ever I can.

 

    1. Bridge number support for the future
      • [Brad] I will be able to continue my bridge through ITC. The team needs to be thinking about other bridge alternatives.
      • [Carl W.] I believe I will be able to cover that role. I will have to talk to my management, but I do not feel there will be a problem.
      • [Ian] There is a possibility I might be able to cover this as well.

 

  1. Hardware Architecture Questions
    • [Brad] This topic was prompted by an email I received from Carl and Carl regarding the need for some guidance on the direction of the hardware white paper section. I thought I would open the discussion to the team since I was unable to meet with them last week.
    • [Carl W.] We are really looking for some direction for how people would like this bit of the document take shape. We began with an overview showing some advantages and restrictions, but given SJTAG can function with any number of hardware topologies do we need to discuss the various topologies and their merits or do we draw boundaries around the various topologies? There is quite a bit of ground to cover here.
    • [Brad] I think you need to include all the topologies that Ben presented in the first white paper. What you have done with explaining the topologies in very short paragraphs in your section titled “Device Under Test Connectivity Schemes (Chain Topologies)” is good and the way to do it. I would recommend changing Device Under Test to Unit Under Test as that appears to be a carryover from your P1687 template baseline. There are some missing topologies from your document [Programmable Star for example] that are important topologies. I would suggest that you present the current state of the art using the topologies we show in the first white paper and then work on looking at each of these topologies from an abstract level and glean the “concepts” that are used in each of these topologies that are possibly common across all of these topologies. For example, the need for chain selection and management is common across each of these topologies, both at the system and board level. [P1687 and 1500 reveals the need for managing chains even inside the device.] Where I think this document will be useful is in identifying where there are boundaries to these architectures revealing where they are significantly different. One thing noted from our survey is the common hardware interface was almost non-existent on the priority list.
    • [Ian] Identification of these differences is important because if you have too many ways of doing things, the job of the tooling to support SJTAG becomes impossible. Identifying the common areas of the topologies is a good start and the identification of the differences will let us be able to make good decisions on where we need to limit the scope of support for SJTAG to allow the tooling to be able to support a compliant SJTAG architecture and be able to explain why.
    • [Ian] I have a slide that shows the 3 cases of EBST and XBST that I will forward on to Carl Walker and Carl Nielsen.
    • [Brad] I think that would be a valuable addition here. [The original white paper was lacking on explaining the totally embedded case sufficiently in the original graphics presented by Gunnar.]
    • [Brad] How about I let you guys work on thinking about this some more this week and then I will try to free up some time later in the week to meet with you to review your direction thoughts.
    • [Carl W.] That would be good.

5. Schedule next meeting

Wednesday, October 22nd, 2008, 8:15am EDT
Fringe Meeting at ITC Thursday, October 30th, 10:30-12:30 PDT.
Monday, November 10th, 2008, 8:15am EST
Monday, November 17th, 2008, 8:15am EST
Wednesday, November 26th, 2008, 8:15am EST

6. Any other business

7. Review new action items

  • Brad, Carl W. and Carl N. to meet to review what is going on with hardware document later in the week
  • Ian will forward EBST/XBST graphic to the hardware guys (Done during the meeting)

8. Adjourn

(Moved by: Peter, Second by: Ian)
Meeting adjourned at 8:57am EDT