Minutes of Weekly Meeting, 2007-11-05
Brad Van Treuren
After resolving problems with phone bridge the meeting was called to order at 8:19am EST
Review of meeting minutes of 11/05/2007
Approved as is (move by Al, second by Ian)
Discussion of open action items:
- Can ATCA backplane support a full star routing? (Al and Brad)
- Should be no problem (per Al and respective ATCA subcommittee)
- Where can a JTAG Switch Module (JSM) be placed within the system? (Al and Brad)
- There seems to be no fixed place where JSM must to be located (i.e. there are many different places where the JSM could be located for MicroTCA implementations already)
- Do we need JTAG redundancy for ATCA since it was not implemented for MicroTCA? (Al and Brad)
- This topic is on today's agenda ...
- Adam proposed we cover the following at the next meeting:
- Establish consensus on goals and constraints
- What are we trying to achieve?
- What restrictions are we faced with?
- still ongoing
- Establish whether TRST needs to be addressed as requirements in the ATCA specification if it is not going to be managed globally (All)
- still to be resolved
- Provide feedback of more use cases not yet identified to Brad (All)
- awaiting feedback ...
- Review tables (Goals vs. use case matrix) on slides 38-41; (All)
- awaiting feedback ...
Process for email correspondence:
- Brad has received many good email correspondence from group members that would be useful for all to view. Brad raised the issue that we need an easy way to communicate with each other.
- Should we set up an email distribution list or a web forum
- Ian offered to explore the option to set up a forum on his server
- Carl offered to set up an email reflector at Cisco; Brad will send him a list of emails for the setup
- Role SJTAG should play in system
- Test only
- Configuration and Test => this seems to be preferably (this would include the identified use cases);
- Integral Operations Interface (e.g. console interface for AMCs via 1149.1 access) => this functionality seems to be something people are looking at implementing, but we don't think SJTAG (and the dot1/JTAG interface in particular) should specify access to real-time, functional features of the system or its components;
Jim: Should one module define the standard for the whole system? Most times you are running tests.
Heiko: Test and Debug are included in use cases for test and configuration.
All: There was a discussion (initiated by Jim) regarding what is meant by managing configuration with JTAG from a system perspective. Noted were devices that already require the use of a JTAG interface to set internal registers for voltage controllers and temperature monitors. Since JTAG is the only control interface, these families of devices need to be supported by SJTAG. P1687 IJTAG begins to formalize a standard interface structure to make interfacing to these families of devices simpler in the future. Other types of configuration management appear to be outside the scope and focus of the SJTAG work.
Brad: There is a fine line between ii) and iii) (consider the instruments identified by P1687 to note the number of instruments that fall into ii) and iii)).
Jim: set a base line first (ii) and then (possibly) extend on that (iii) if needed/desired
Brad asked for any objections; none voiced; -> consensus seems to be to start with (ii)
- Is redundancy needing to be considered in SJTAG (e.g., High Availability systems)?
- referring to redundant JTAG access points
- if we focus on (ii), then it seems that redundancy is not needed => no disagreement of participants on the call
- if we were to focus on (iii), the answer should be "yes, redundancy is needed"
- If redundancy is needed, can it be supported with just 4 pins for ATCA?
- in ATCA we only have 4 pins; would ATCA require redundancy? if so, the P1149.7 two-pin interface might be an option to cope with redundancy while still using only 4 pins total; Unfortunately, the time P1149.7 becomes a standard might miss the required window for ATCA.
- ATCA will be setting up a subcommittee for JTAG in ATCA
- Brad will be volunteering as Draft Editor of that subcommittee (same role Brad played in the AMC and MicroTCA drafts)
- chairman and vice chairman to be selected
- SJTAG plays an advisory role
Heiko noted he will not be able to join the 11/12 and 11/19 meetings due to other business conflicts.
Scheduled for Monday, Nov 12, 8:00am EST
Meeting adjourned at 9:03am EST
Many thanks to Heiko for assisting with the notes for the meeting.