Minutes of Study Group Meeting, 2018-07-02

Meeting called to order: 11:05 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/StudyGroup/SG_Meeting_41.pdf

Brad moved to accept the agenda as proposed, seconded by Brian.

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Bill Eklow (Retired)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (ARM)
Adam W. Ley (ASSET Intertech)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)
Brad Van Treuren (Nokia)
Craig Stephan (INTELLITECH Inc.) (joined 11:07)
Louis Ungar (ATE Solutions)
Sivakumar Vijayakumar (Keysight)
Gregory Zucaro (NAVAIR Lakehurst)

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)

2. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent slides reviewed, no comments.

3. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • June 25 (draft circulated June 25)
    • No corrections noted.
    • Joel moved to approve, Terry seconded.
    • No objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

4. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 11}
  • [21.1] Brad: Supply Ian with glossary definitions used by 1687.1 for "transformation" and "retargeting".
    • No updates.
    • ONGOING.
  • [27.2] Legacy Initiative Group to propose definition for "SJTAG".
    • No updates.
    • ONGOING
  • These may need to be carried over to a future Working Group.

5. Discussion Topics

a) Draft PAR.

  • {Slide 12}
  • Previously circulated by email (with updates) {shared}.
  • No further comments.
  • Terry moved to accept the draft PAR as presented, seconded by Joel, no objections or abstentions → motion carried.
  • Brad thanked the Chair on behalf of the group for his efforts in bringing the group to this point.

b) Study Group Report.

  • Previously circulated by email (with updates) {shared}.
  • Brief run through of the main points from the report.
  • Form of minutes used for study group was different from that used by the initiative group: Did members find the level of information in the notes adequate? Generally felt to sufficient. Initiative group notes tended to be more "narrative" and probably harder to record. IEEE guidance was to avoid this. Noted that terseness in minutes was required by Robert's Rules - intent is only to record actions/decisions of the meeting.
  • No further comments on the report.
  • Brad moved to accept the Study Group Report as presented, seconded by Terry, no objections or abstentions → motion carried.
  • Procedure from this point on was queried:
    • The draft PAR and report now go forward to TTSC for Sponsor approval. It is possible that the PAR may be rejected by TTSC in which case we are likely to be given an opportunity to revise it, perhaps within a week or maybe a month. Assuming it is meets Sponsor approval it then goes to NesCom. NesCom requires 40 days notice of a PAR, so the earliest it can be considered is the NesCom meeting of October 15. NesCom approval will initiate the formation of the Working Group.
    • In the meantime, the study group period is now technically over, but we will need to meet on July 23 to review the outcome of the TTSC meeting (if necessary, we can submit an amended PAR without being a study group).  We cannot really undertake tasks that would come under a working group until the group is officially formed, but we can revert back to being an "initiative group". We probably don't to pick up the broader scope of SJTAG, but we could be a STAM initiative group - it'd be useful to keep some sort of momentum going during the intervening period. 

6. Today's Key Takeaways

  • {Slide 13}
  • PAR and Report accepted for submission to TTSC.

7. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
    • 1687.1: Transformation, Retargetting.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • SJTAG: Discussion on forums - http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=782
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package (1149.1 opted for "entity" in order to be non-specific).
      • Correction to the above remark: It has been pointed out that 1149.1 actually defines conformance in terms of "component" (c.f. COMPONENT_CONFORMANCE attribute in BSDL), and "entity" only pertains to BSDL where it is simply inherited from VHDL. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".

8. Topic for next meeting

  • "Schedule next meeting" (9) was taken before discussing topic.
  • Feedback from TTSC meeting.
  • Schedule of meetings pending NesCom.

9. Schedule next meeting

  • Omit meetings on July 9 and July 16, reconvene on July 23.
  • Decide on schedule thereafter once we know the outcome of the TTSC meeting. Probably want to meet at least monthly/four-weekly, but possibly fortnightly.

10. Reminders

  • We need to submit our Draft PAR to TTSC by July 4. Ian will pass the documents to Adam Ley later today.
  • Think about potential officers, moving towards a Working Group.
    • Further details: https://standards.ieee.org/develop/governedwg.html
    • Note that the Chair and Vice-chair are expected to be IEEE-SA members (they are effectively acting as an arm of the SA). IEEE/SA membership is encouraged for working group members but is in now way a requirement. However, SA membership is required to join the ballot group for approval of a standard.

11. Any Other Business

  • Heiko has submitted an abstract for a poster at ITC.
  • Bill Eklow advised that a slot is available for, say, a 1/2 hour invited talk at ITC. ITC is pretty close to the time a working group would be set up so there may not be much to offer. Fringe meetings weren't particularly successful previously. Could do something more along the lines of a Q&A on the process of how we got here with STAM - perhaps similar to the call-in session Brad did for BTW a couple of years ago. Joel will be at ITC and would be willing to tie in with Heiko's poster and pull some slides together from what we already have to support such a session. Joel and Bill will discuss.

12. List New Action Items

  • None.

13. Adjourn

  • Terry moved to adjourn, seconded by Joel.
  • Meeting adjourned at 11:55 AM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh