Minutes of Study Group Meeting, 2018-05-14

Meeting called to order: 11:05 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/StudyGroup/SG_Meeting_35.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo MW Ltd.)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Bill Eklow (Retired) (joined 11:09)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Firecron Ltd.) (joined 11:07)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (ARM)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Brad Van Treuren (Nokia)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)
Craig Stephan (INTELLITECH Inc.)

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Russell Shannon (NAVAIR Lakehurst)
Louis Ungar (ATE Solutions)

2. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent slides reviewed, no comments.

3. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • May 7 (revised draft circulated May 9)
    • Eric moved to approve, Joel seconded.
    • No objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

4. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 11}
  • [21.1] Brad: Supply Ian with glossary definitions used by 1687.1 for "transformation" and "retargeting".
    • No updates.
    • ONGOING.
  • [27.2] Legacy Initiative Group to propose definition for "SJTAG".
    • No updates.
    • ONGOING

5. Discussion Topics

a) Continue Purpose discussion, focussing on Adam’s last question.

  • {Slide12 - Outline plan}
  • Reminded group of "plan" for getting PAR submission ready.
  • {Brad shared recent forum posts}
  • Issues with the text that was highlighted in red at the end of the May 7 meeting: "Access mechanisms" isn't what we should be talking about, "components" is maybe too ambiguous. Alternative wordings proposed. Suggested text offered in response to Adam's third point.
  • {Brad assembled all the suggestions into a single slide (substitute for Slide 13) for discussion and editing, shared}
  • Some main points from discussion: 
    • Is it too limiting to refer to "digital assemblies"? Probably, as it is quite reasonable to consider mixed signal designs. "Assemblies with digital interfaces" is a better description of what is intended.
    • Will a naïve user understand what "a uniform description" means? Is that something that is even achievable. The notion of uniformity was used to represent that is was standardised. Perhaps "standardized description" is better.
    • Are we mixing singular and plural here? There is likely to be more than one description, so "... standardized descriptions focusing on..." seems more correct.
    • Does "conforming descriptions" tie in well enough with the earlier mention of "standardized descriptions"? Believe so, plus the "conforming" aspect shows that while other interfaces may exist, we are only concerned with those that provide a conforming description.
    • "People who produce..." is not appropriate terminology. Suggest "producers of..." instead.
    • Might "producers of assemblies" tend to imply only larger constructions, e.g. mezzanines or boards? May not want to imply that given MCMs, SoCs, etc., are potentially in scope. Can we say "devices or assemblies"? Devices is still ambiguous.
  • Edited slide: http://files.sjtag.org/StudyGroup/SG_Meeting_35_bgvt_singleslide.pdf
  • Reference slides (not used during this meeting):
  • {Slide 13 - Draft Purpose}
  • {Slide 14 - Draft Need}
  • {Slide 15 - Collated comments}
  • {Slide 16 - Draft Scope}

6. Today's Key Takeaways

  • {Slide 17}
  • Group has (almost) finalised the PAR Purpose.

7. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • Device - do we mean a packaged device, may be many devices in a package (1149.1 opted for "entity" in order to be non-specific).
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
    • 1687.1: Transformation, Retargetting.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • SJTAG: Discussion on forums - http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=782
  • "Method" - a systematic approach to accomplish an objective. OK to copy this to the glossary.

8. Topic for next meeting

9. Schedule next meeting

  • May 21.
    • Terry will be out.
    • Russell (and others) will be out on May 28th. This is widely a holiday in both US and UK.

10. Reminders

11. Any Other Business

  • None.

12. List New Action Items

  • None.

13. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Brad.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:02 PM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh