Minutes of Study Group Meeting, 2017-11-20

Meeting called to order: 11:05 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/StudyGroup/SG_Meeting_14.pdf (corrected)

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo MW Ltd.)
Heiko Ehrenberg (Goepel Electronics) (joined 11:22)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions Ltd.)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (ARM)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)
Ed Gong (Intel Corp.) (joined 11:09)
Russell Shannon (NAVAIR Lakehurst) (joined 11:08)
Craig Stephan (INTELLITECH Inc.)
Louis Ungar (ATE Solutions)
Sivakumar Vijayakumar (Keysight) (joined 11:10)

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Peter Horwood (Firecron Ltd.)
Bill Eklow (Retired)
Mukund Modi (NAVAIR Lakehurst)
Brad Van Treuren (Nokia)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Jon Stewart (Dell)

2. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}

3. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • Noted that slide pack showed incorrect meeting number and date (corrected in version linked at the head of these minutes)
  • November 13
    • Draft circulated 11/13/17
    • No corrections noted.
    • Eric moved to approve, seconded by Louis, no objections or abstentions. Approved.

4. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 11}
  • [10.2] Brad will draft a definition for "boundary".
    • ONGOING.
  • [13.1] Ian: Create forum poll on Needs.
    • COMPLETE.

5. Discussion Topics

a) Review forum poll.

  • {Slide 12}
  • {Poll post shared: http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=774}
  • All votes so far (only 6) show members would like to see both Need 'A' and Need 'B' addressed.
  • It might be helpful if people comment with some rationale for their vote, especially if the trend continues and everyone opts for needing both.
  • Only a few recent members have registered for the forums, so will not be able to vote or comment until they do so.

b) Scope, Purpose and Need: Focus on "Need"

  • {Slide 12}
  • Identifying Need 'A' and Need 'B' seemed to have suggested two PARs. One question is whether they share anything in terms of PAR Need and Purpose, a second is how the group will manage creating two PARs, or should it prioritise one and leave the other to a later date or another group?
  • Probably need to advise TTSC that the group has identified the two needs and will require a little more time to work through the resultant issues.
  • Trying to work two PARS could lead to confusion in the group, so should maybe pick a "lead" need to deal with first; the second one could be brought in by the working group.
  • There is perhaps no problem in having a single Purpose for both needs and perhaps a single Scope for both. "Tiger teams" could break out to address the different aspects and report back to the whole group. The two needs are similar enough that a single standard should cover both. Would that suggest the standard would require that both needs are catered for in order to comply with the standard?  The health reports could be "permitted" so that wouldn't mean that they have to be provided. Ultimately this is implementation details that should be left to the working group.
  • We need to be careful with wording: Things like the Scope on the PAR will go into the Standard verbatim, and the working group cannot do anything beyond that scope (it could do less than the scope allows, but not too much less).
  • A proposed starter text for Purpose was posted to the forums (http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?p=1238#p1238), to be developed by the group {ACTION}.
  • Need is still to be closed out: The Need 'A' and 'B' descriptions were to capture views and were not intended to be PAR material.
  • Working Group will be given the Scope and Purpose and needs to work within those bounds. It can break down into Tiger Teams so that each can tackle specific subjects and report back to the group as a whole. Some teams may find their subject is not useful and will shut down. The editorial team needs to be strong (there is probably guidance provided by SA in order to help maintain consistency across standards). So the two Needs could be addressed in a single standard, but through tiger teams.
  • Is there a distinction between "diagnosis" and "diagnostics"? It was thought that one was "outcome" and the other "process". The SJTAG glossary was checked and confirmed this:

6. Today's Key Takeaways

  • {Slide 13}
  • Ought to be able to deal with both Need 'A' and Need 'B' in a single standard.
  • Not enough members have registered on the forums.

7. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • Test Salvage - Limited re-use of a test due to imposition of additional constraints.

8. Topic for next meeting

9. Schedule next meeting

  • November 27
    • Ed may be absent.

10. Reminders

  • None.

11. Any Other Business

  • None.

12. List New Action Items

13. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Brian.
  • Meeting adjourned at 11:59 AM EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh