Minutes of Post-Study Group Meeting, 2018-11-26

Meeting called to order: 11:06 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/PostStudyGroup/PSG_Meeting_10.pdf

1. Roll Call and Agenda

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (Arm)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors)
Craig Stephan (INTELLITECH Inc.)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Brad Van Treuren (Nokia)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
---

Eric moved to accept the agenda as proposed, seconded by Carl.

2. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent slides reviewed.
    • No comments.

3. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • November 12 (draft circulated November 12)
    • No corrections noted.
    • Eric moved to approve, Terry seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

4. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 11}
  • [21.1] Brad: Supply Ian with glossary definitions used by 1687.1 for "transformation" and "retargeting".
    • No updates.
    • ONGOING.
  • [27.2] Legacy Initiative Group to propose definition for "SJTAG".
    • No updates.
    • ONGOING.
  • The above may need to be carried over to a future Working Group.
  • [P8.2b] Brad: Enquire on possible introduction on P1687.1.
    • ONGOING.
  • [P8.2c] Eric: Enquire on possible introduction on P1838.
    • COMPLETE.
    • Adam Cron (P1838) and Steve Sunter (P1687.2) have been lined up for December 3 to give 20 minute overviews of those standards. Meeting will need to start promptly in order to accommodate. Adam needs to leave by 11:30 but Jan Erik Marinissen will be available afterwards to answer any questions.
    • Brad has contacted Jeff Rearick on P1687.1 and is awaiting reply - probably need to push this part out into January. {Post Meeting Note: Jeff is available January 7 or January 14 - the latter is more likely to be suitable.} 

5. Discussion Topics

a) WG Planning

  • {Slide 12}
  • Invitation:
  • {Slide 13}
  • Change part in parentheses to "associated as the first part of SJTAG".
  • Send to mailing list (before pruning), use TTSC's "broadcasting service", post to SJTAG Group on LinkedIn (others can then share to other relevant groups.
  • P2654 is specifically STAM, not "SJTAG" - STAM being a subset of SJTAG (or a building block of SJTAG).
  • Policies and Procedures:
  • First draft created (http://files.sjtag.org/Documents/STAM_P2654_WG_PnP_v0.1.docx). No comments so far. Forum thread: http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=143
  • FAQ:
  • Would help to re-iterate that "SJTAG ≠ STAM".
  • Relatively easy to maintain.
  • An SJTAG FAQ had been started and can be recycled for STAM.
  • Send Ian suggested entries for the FAQ. There is no current topic on the forums for proposing entries.
  • WebEx:
  • Probably replace current meeting series with new one for the WG meetings, and get the recipient list corrected.
  • Are Cisco (and Carl) still happy to sponsor the group by providing the WebEx facility? Yes, certainly for the foreseeable future.  Would be useful if Brad and Ian have copies of the invitee list as backup as both have WebEx facilities that could be used if necessary, although Carl usually makes the host key available to Ian and Heiko so the meeting can be run in Carl's absence. Sharing seems to be possible even if the host is not on the call.
  • First WG meeting will probably be done ad hoc using the existing WebEx meeting details. The new series can be setup once we have the membership list sorted and the schedule agreed going forward.
  • May need to ask if people want to be on the WebEx invites since it exposes email addresses - link is included in the emailed calling notices anyway.

b) Michele's P1687.1 slides

  • Brad presented a few slides that illustrated Michele's attempt to resolve the nomenclature issues over DataLink and AccessLink (http://files.sjtag.org/PostStudyGroup/DataLink_AccessLink.pptx).
    • In 1149.1 the AccessLink sets up the IR to select which TDR will be accessed. The TDR then becomes the DataLink.
    • In 1687 it becomes blurred as the additional selection logic (like SIBs) is in the DataLink path. Described using ICL and PDL.
      • Could this be described hierarchically?
    • Proposes Access Interfaces: Now there are multiple flows, each with a TDI and TDO.  RHS is described by a modelling language. A vector doesn't need to know that it is an IR-Scan or a DR-Scan, it is just "a scan", only thing passed is "data".  Uses callback requests from the RHS.
      • How well does this scale? May be OK within a chip. Needs ICL description for every level.
      • Does it really cope with non-CSU (1149.1-style) interfaces? SPI may work, I2C maybe less so.
      • "Relocatable Vector Format" - may not fit well with STAM.

6. Today's Key Takeaways

  • {Slide 14}
  • None.

7. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
    • 1687.1: Transformation, Retargetting.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • SJTAG: Discussion on forums - http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=782
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package (1149.1 opted for "entity" in order to be non-specific).
      • Correction to the above remark: It has been pointed out that 1149.1 actually defines conformance in terms of "component" (c.f. COMPONENT_CONFORMANCE attribute in BSDL), and "entity" only pertains to BSDL where it is simply inherited from VHDL. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.

8. Topic for next meeting

  • P1838 Overview (Adam Cron)
  • P1687.2 Overview (Steve Sunter)

9. Schedule next meeting

  • December 3.

10. Reminders

  • None.

11. Any Other Business

12. List New Action Items

  • None.

13. Adjourn

  • Terry moved to adjourn, seconded by Joel.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:04 PM EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh