Minutes of Post-Study Group Meeting, 2018-11-12

Meeting called to order: 11:06 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/PostStudyGroup/PSG_Meeting_9.pdf

1. Roll Call and Agenda

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Firecron Ltd.) (left 11:39)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.) (joined 11:07)
Joel Irby (Arm)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)
Jon Stewart (Dell) (joined 11:15)
Brad Van Treuren (Nokia)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)
Sivakumar Vijayakumar (Keysight) (left 11:53)

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)

Eric moved to accept the agenda as proposed, seconded by Brad.

2. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent slides reviewed.
    • No comments.

3. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • November 5 (draft circulated November 5, updated November 7)
    • No further corrections noted.
    • Eric moved to approve as amended, Brad seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

4. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 11}
  • [21.1] Brad: Supply Ian with glossary definitions used by 1687.1 for "transformation" and "retargeting".
    • No updates.
    • ONGOING.
  • [27.2] Legacy Initiative Group to propose definition for "SJTAG".
    • No updates.
    • ONGOING.
  • The above may need to be carried over to a future Working Group.
  • [P8.1] Ian: Send email to require confirmation of continued membership.
    • Noted that several people that would be expected to continue membership have not yet indicated so.
    • COMPLETE.
  • [P8.2a] Joel: Enquire on possible introduction on P1687.2, P2427.
    • COMPLETE.
  • [P8.2b] Brad: Enquire on possible introduction on P1687.1.
    • ONGOING.
  • [P8.2c] Eric: Enquire on possible introduction on P1838.
    • ONGOING.

5. Discussion Topics

a) WG Planning

  • {Slide 12}
  • Invitation:
  • Need a date for first meeting: Aim to call first meeting for December 10, then resume in earnest in January. Try to get invite published two weeks before, gives people time to schedule in, but may not expect too many new members.
  • Need to revise invite text from that used for Study Group.
  • Distribute widely: Use TTSC's "broadcasting service", post to LinkedIn. Anything else?
  • Policies and Procedures:
  • First draft created (http://files.sjtag.org/Documents/STAM_P2654_WG_PnP_v0.1.docx).  Need to convene WG to discuss it properly and adopt it, but we can toss it around for now. Forum thread: http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=143
  • "Welcome pack":
  • Study Group was missing something to give out to new members as a quick introduction.  Don't really want to point them to a bunch of web links. What would be appropriate content? PAR gives some information but probably doesn't give enough of a picture on its own.
    • Some slides on why we're doing what we're doing, where we've come from.
    • Address that SJTAG is not STAM but STAM is a part of SJTAG. 
    • Some sort of mission or vision statement.
    • Something that can act as an attractor.
  • Best method to draw people in remains word-of-mouth, with personalised discussions.

b)  "Awareness sessions" on other standards.

  • Joel has contacted Steve Sunter, who is available to talk on P1687.2 and P2427 on December 3 (first available date). 
  • Eric has made enquiries of P1838 and is awaiting a reply.
    • Post meeting note: Adam Cron is also available on December 3.
  • Brad notes that Jeff Rearick and Michele Portolan have both been busy of late and he didn't want to impose to soon.
  • Louis has advised that Jeff Rearick gave a presentation to P1687.2 last week on test access involving P1687.1 and P1687.2 - probably very similar to what he'd be likely to present to us. Jeff typically presents these as "his perspective" and not necessarily the view of the P1687.1 group.

c) P1687.1 slides

  • Brad presented a few slides extracted from a larger presentation delivered to the P1687.1 group over several weeks (http://files.sjtag.org/PostStudyGroup/STAM_Perspective.pptx). The following are only very brief notes on these:
    • AccessLink - "Physical Interface to communications path in topology to target register"
      • The question for us is "can we define a generic API for all these interfaces?
      • Similar to the Phy in the ISO stack.
    • DataLink - "Behavioral description applied to Physical Interface (AccessLink)"
      • Throughout, there is the notion of something on the left adhering to the needs of another thing to its right.
      • There is 'Transition to an event' where there is nothing else on the LHS (i.e. top level), or 'Transition to a transition', with callbacks passed back up the hierarchy to the top level.
      • Model also need to describe how responses coming back down will be interpreted. There may be multiple operations for one event.
      • Note that the descriptions given here for AccessLink and DataLink have evolved from those presently in our Glossary (http://wiki.sjtag.org/index.php?title=Glossary:Access_Link and http://wiki.sjtag.org/index.php?title=Glossary:Data_Link), which are more like those initially being suggested within P1687.1. Brad and Michele have an action to reconcile the terminology across the groups so that we are consistent.
    • DataLink - "Transformation of requested behaviors into requests to left hand host"
      • Maps requests on the RHS of the device into requests on the LHS of the device. 
  • Brad also gave a preview of slides Michele Portolan had used as a counterpoint, which can be discussed next time (http://files.sjtag.org/PostStudyGroup/DataLink_AccessLink.pptx).

6. Today's Key Takeaways

  • {Slide 13}
  • AccessLink and DataLink need to have agreed definitions across standards.

7. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None, but our existing AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
    • 1687.1: Transformation, Retargetting.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • SJTAG: Discussion on forums - http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=782
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package (1149.1 opted for "entity" in order to be non-specific).
      • Correction to the above remark: It has been pointed out that 1149.1 actually defines conformance in terms of "component" (c.f. COMPONENT_CONFORMANCE attribute in BSDL), and "entity" only pertains to BSDL where it is simply inherited from VHDL. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).

8. Topic for next meeting

  • WG Invitation, P&P feedback
  • Michele's slides (Brad to present)

9. Schedule next meeting

  • November 26.
    • No meeting on November 19 due to Thanksgiving (US).

10. Reminders

  • None.

11. Any Other Business

  • None.

12. List New Action Items

  • None.

13. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Brad.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:04 PM EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh