Minutes of Post-Study Group Meeting, 2018-10-22

Meeting called to order: 11:07 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/PostStudyGroup/PSG_Meeting_7.pdf

1. Roll Call and Agenda

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (Arm)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Brad Van Treuren (Nokia) (joined 11:11)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Firecron Ltd.)

Eric moved to accept the agenda as proposed, seconded by Terry.

2. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent slides reviewed.
    • No comments.

3. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • October 8 (draft circulated October 8)
    • No corrections noted.
    • Eric moved to approve, Heiko seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

4. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 11}
  • [21.1] Brad: Supply Ian with glossary definitions used by 1687.1 for "transformation" and "retargeting".
    • No updates.
    • ONGOING.
  • [27.2] Legacy Initiative Group to propose definition for "SJTAG".
    • No updates.
    • ONGOING.
  • The above may need to be carried over to a future Working Group.

5. Discussion Topics

a) NesCom outcome

  • {Slide 12}
  • Note: Slide pack showed incorrect heading for this topic (copy error from previous pack) - this is corrected in the pack linked at the top of these minutes.
  • Status still shown as "pending approval" in myProject, but no comments are noted either so assume that review outcome has yet to be published - unsure how long this usually takes.
  • Need to know we have approval before we can issue a formal call to form the working group.

b) ITC Material.

  • Poster:
  • No activity on the forums (http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=791). A few more company name corrections advised since last meeting, embodied in version 4 - http://files.sjtag.org/ITC2018/ITC_2018v4.pdf. Considered to be "final" version. 
  • Eric moved to accept v4 as our poster for ITC, seconded by Terry, no objections.
  • Files will be made available to Heiko later today.
  • Invited Talk:
  • Joel has circulated link to proposed slide pack via email - http://files.sjtag.org/STAM_special_session_1_3.pptx {shared, for review}.
  • Quite a lot of slides so some may be passed over quickly or moved into a "backup group".
  • Still an opportunity to modify the pack but a version will need to be submitted for the proceedings very shortly (some further changes could be made in the pack used on the day).
  • Some points of discussion (not comprehensive):
    • The difference between 'SJTAG' and 'STAM' is likely to come up. This is addressed in slides 5 and 9.
    • Some slides, e.g. slide 10, use material that pre-dates STAM so some references to 'SJTAG' might really be referring to 'STAM'. In the case of slide 10, the arrows are STAM but the clouds remain SJTAG, as shown.
    • Slide 9 only shows STAM within the SJTAG stack. For simplicity, we chose not to include the option of ad hoc applications bypassing SJTAG/STAM, and which is not precluded.
    • Security is likely to drop up. We previously discussed this and this standard will not try to define any security methods. Security probably really exists in the devices and protocols, which STAM doesn't need to be concerned with as it's more about moving data from its source to its destination without being concerned about what that data is. Lock-down situations might limit access - that's a trade-off between testability and security that the system designer needs to make, and there should be provision for sub-modules to be able to report limited health data.
    • Slides 10, 12 probably go into "backup", slide 17 could move to just after slide 13.
    • Emphasize the Scope (slide 4).
    • Provision number for STAM is P2654 but probably no need to put that in the slides. Could be noted verbally or if asked.
    • How much EDA tool support do we need, e.g. for retargetting? Possibly at chip level, but there tends not to be many "tools" at system level. Some STAM tooling will likely come via test tool vendors.  Need to acknowledge that ultimately there will be some single, top-level access point. Should be guidance on how you layout the model/architecture to support STAM, and need STAM to be usable by embedded applications (i.e. with limited resources) as well as in the ATE environment.
  • NTF:
  • Heiko has assembled a few slides for NTF (http://files.sjtag.org/NTF2018/STAM_NTF18_v0_1.pdf) {shared, for review}.
  • Probably more than his colleague will have time to present but we can ask for the full pack to be included in the proceedings, which are usually supplied to attendees on a USB stick.
  • Noted that the orange line for "PM Chain" on the Illustrative SJTAG Infrastructure diagram (slide 11) has been moved as the way it was originally drawn (close to the ID bus) made it appear to be part of the link between the μP and the Selector - this may carry over into Joel's slides.

6. Today's Key Takeaways

  • {Slide 13}
  • None.

7. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
    • 1687.1: Transformation, Retargetting.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • SJTAG: Discussion on forums - http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=782
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package (1149.1 opted for "entity" in order to be non-specific).
      • Correction to the above remark: It has been pointed out that 1149.1 actually defines conformance in terms of "component" (c.f. COMPONENT_CONFORMANCE attribute in BSDL), and "entity" only pertains to BSDL where it is simply inherited from VHDL. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).

8. Topic for next meeting

  • Feedback from ITC.
  • Invitation to form working group?
  • Suggestion to include 15 minute slot at each meeting prior to forming a working group to look at what P1687.1, P1687.2, etc. are doing. May get presenters on those items from ITC to join a call.

9. Schedule next meeting

  • November 5.

10. Reminders

  • None.

11. Any Other Business

  • Eric advised the group of the passing of Tom Heilmann (P1838 group) on October 4.

12. List New Action Items

  • None.

13. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Louis.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:09 PM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh