Minutes of Post-Study Group Meeting, 2018-10-08

Meeting called to order: 11:05 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/PostStudyGroup/PSG_Meeting_6.pdf

1. Roll Call and Agenda

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics) (joined 11:06)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions) (left 11:14)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Firecron Ltd.)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (Arm)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)
Craig Stephan (INTELLITECH Inc.) (joined 11:32)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Sivakumar Vijayakumar (Keysight) (joined 11:12)

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Brad Van Treuren (Nokia)

Joel moved to accept the agenda as proposed, seconded by Eric.

2. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent slides reviewed.
    • No comments.

3. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • September 24 (draft circulated September 24)
    • No corrections noted.
    • Eric moved to approve, Joel seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

4. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 11}
  • [21.1] Brad: Supply Ian with glossary definitions used by 1687.1 for "transformation" and "retargeting".
    • No updates.
    • ONGOING.
  • [27.2] Legacy Initiative Group to propose definition for "SJTAG".
    • No updates.
    • ONGOING.
  • The above may need to be carried over to a future Working Group.
  • [P3.1] Legacy Initiative Group members to try to identify pertinent pre-existing diagrams for ITC talk, particularly any that can be used to highlight relationship between SJTAG and STAM.
    • Joel has all he needs.
    • COMPLETE.
  • [P5.1] All: Advise Ian of IEEE membership status and willingness to serve as a group officer.
    • Addressed in Discussion Topics, 5a.
    • COMPLETE.

5. Discussion Topics

a) STAM Officers

  • {Slide 12}
  • Action from last week is complete: 8 people have identified as eligible, of which 2 expressed no desire to be nominated for office, and 2 volunteered for specific roles.
  • "Editor" is not detailed in the baseline WG policies and procedures as an officer but Chair, Vice-chair, Secretary and Treasurer are.  Current understanding is that the technical editors of a standard are not required to be SA members.
  • The baseline P&Ps state that an officer's term is a maximum of two years, after which a new round of elections must be held.
  • Leave this topic for now, but it will be one of the first activities when the WG forms (NesCom meets on October 19).

b) ITC Poster.

  • No significant activity on the forums (http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=791). One typo pointed out by email and corrected in version 2 - http://files.sjtag.org/ITC2018/ITC_2018v2.pdf.
  • Heiko pursuing Bill to ensure that the STAM Poster is included in the program.  STAM currently isn't listed in the program but Bill has assured that we should get a poster slot in any case. 
  • "STAM - Re-using device access for board and system test" has been supplied as the title for the poster.
  • Corrections to participants (Ian will apply the changes and circulate a v3 of the poster):
    • Change "ARM to "Arm"
    • Change "ATE Solutions" to "A.T.E. Solutions"
  • There being no other comments, these changes essentially complete the poster, but Heiko will arrange for printing once in Phoenix to accommodate any late changes. Forum remains open for comments: http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=791

c) ITC Invited Talk.

  • Joel possibly hasn't seen some of the slides Ian had made available on the file manager for inclusion, e.g. http://files.sjtag.org/ITC2018/STAM_ITC18_v0_2_IMM_Extract3.pptx.
  • Joel still wants add a few slides:
    • Some use cases to motivate people to care more about STAM
    • Show STAM as a practical approach on what accesses are available, finding failing accesses.  Possible machine learning may be used to create tests in the future. Applications in re-configurable or disrupted systems (latter could involve "generators" to bunch together tests without needing access to the system VHDL, etc).
    • Show that we are cognisant of security concerns.
  • Joel hopes to have a version of the slidepack available for review prior to the next meeting on October 22.
  • Heiko will pull a few slides together for NTF, possibly from the Poster and Joel's slides and hopefully during this week.

6. Today's Key Takeaways

  • {Slide 13}
  • None.

7. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • "Generators" (as mentioned in 5c): May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.). 
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
    • 1687.1: Transformation, Retargetting.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • SJTAG: Discussion on forums - http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=782
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package (1149.1 opted for "entity" in order to be non-specific).
      • Correction to the above remark: It has been pointed out that 1149.1 actually defines conformance in terms of "component" (c.f. COMPONENT_CONFORMANCE attribute in BSDL), and "entity" only pertains to BSDL where it is simply inherited from VHDL. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).

8. Topic for next meeting

9. Schedule next meeting

  • October 22.

10. Reminders

  • None.

11. Any Other Business

  • Website servers to be upgraded/migrated shortly (date unknown but will happen between 5:00 AM and 7:00 AM UK time)  - may result in service unavailability without notice.

12. List New Action Items

  • None.

13. Adjourn

  • Joel moved to adjourn, seconded by Peter.
  • Meeting adjourned at 11:47 AM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh