Minutes of Post-Study Group Meeting, 2018-09-24

Meeting called to order: 11:05 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/PostStudyGroup/PSG_Meeting_5.pdf

1. Roll Call and Agenda

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Peter Horwood (Firecron Ltd.)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright) (joined 11:06)
Jon Stewart (Dell) (joined 11:08)
Brad Van Treuren (Nokia)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)
Louis Ungar (ATE Solutions)

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Joel Irby (ARM)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)

Brad moved to accept the agenda as proposed, seconded by Carl.

2. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent slides reviewed.
    • No comments.

3. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • September 10 (updated draft circulated September 16)
    • No further corrections noted.
    • Brad moved to approve, Carl seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

4. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 11}
  • [21.1] Brad: Supply Ian with glossary definitions used by 1687.1 for "transformation" and "retargeting".
    • No updates.
    • ONGOING.
  • [27.2] Legacy Initiative Group to propose definition for "SJTAG".
    • Some comments have been added on the forum.
    • ONGOING.
  • The above may need to be carried over to a future Working Group.
  • [P3.1] Legacy Initiative Group members to try to identify pertinent pre-existing diagrams for ITC talk, particularly any that can be used to highlight relationship between SJTAG and STAM.
    • Hold until Joel confirms that he has all he needs. 
    • ONGOING.
  • [P4.1] Ian, Brad to update Michele's diagram and EST Example for Joel.
    • EST diagram updated, Michele's diagram probably doesn't need changed.
    • COMPLETE.

5. Discussion Topics

a)  STAM Officers

  • {Slide 12}
  • People interested in a STAM Working Group should signal their interest in the C/TT/STAM committee in IEEE myProject (https://development.standards.ieee.org/my-site/home requires an IEEE login but not necessarily an IEEE membership) - details were advised in a email circulated on Friday. This is currently only to register interest but the list can be used to maintain the roster and, in the longer term, for the formation of the ballot group.
  • May only have two more meetings before we could be forming a working group, so need to firm up on potential officers.  Ian appointed chair in the interim, elections process will kick-in after the PAR approval and the WG is formed. Could get an Elections Officer and Elections Auditor from outside our group.  Who else would be eligible to be an officer? Really need four people - Chair, Vice-chair, Secretary and Editor - who should be IEEE and SA members. In case there are privacy concerns, may be better if individuals email Ian to advise a) if they meet the eligibility requirement and b) may be willing to serve as an officer.  Ian will compose an email to the group and expect answers by return email {ACTION}.

b) ITC Poster.

  • No activity on the forums so far (http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=791).
  • Unable to answer the question that arose at the previous meeting as neither Heiko nor Bill Eklow are on the call, but it is presumed that IEEE Standards Posters are rolled up under a general heading and often added to the program late on.

b) ITC Invited Talk.

  • No further update on NTF.
  • Two versions of an updated extract from the EST Example diagram shown at the previous meeting had been drafted up {http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?p=1397#p1397 - shared}. Both are basically the same but the second version added a block that showed an option for an application that completely bypasses SJTAG and STAM, but this maybe over-complicates things at this stage.  Intent is really to show that the Test Step Controller or Interactive Application shouldn't be concerned with whether an I2C or SPI interface is involved, just what the end-point register holds.  There are aspects of modelling involved to do this, but we don't need to try to detail that here.
  • Possibly some of the boxes could benefit from explanation (in the slide format, there is space left on the right for notes or call-outs).
  • SJTAG Manager may be enclosing too much - Everything from the HWIF Middleware Layer down is really the legacy infrastructure, and although SJTAG and STAM do rely on it they are not part of SJTAG.  "SJTAG Manager" may be more accurately re-titled as "SJTAG Infrastructure" here.
  • Diagram ought to be more generic, rather than implying that only JTAG, I2C and SPI are supported, by adding extra boxes to both the Control Systems and UUT areas, labelled as "...".  Ian will make the proposed amendments.
  • In the mini-slide pack referenced in the forum post, Ian had included a suggested "Contact" slide including the QR code for the SJTAG website - we can probably add signalling interest via IEEE myProject to that.

6. Today's Key Takeaways

  • {Slide 13}
  • None.

7. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
    • 1687.1: Transformation, Retargetting.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • SJTAG: Discussion on forums - http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=782
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package (1149.1 opted for "entity" in order to be non-specific).
      • Correction to the above remark: It has been pointed out that 1149.1 actually defines conformance in terms of "component" (c.f. COMPONENT_CONFORMANCE attribute in BSDL), and "entity" only pertains to BSDL where it is simply inherited from VHDL. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context

8. Topic for next meeting

Group officers.

9. Schedule next meeting

  • October 8.
    • Columbus Day, US and Thanksgiving Day, Canada: Richard will be out, possibly Jon.

10. Reminders

  • None.

11. Any Other Business

  • None.

12. List New Action Items

  • [P5.1] All: Advise Ian of IEEE membership status and willingness to serve as a group officer.

13. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Jon.
  • Meeting adjourned at 11:56 AM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh