Minutes of Post-Study Group Meeting, 2018-09-10

Meeting called to order: 11:08 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/PostStudyGroup/PSG_Meeting_4.pdf

Brad moved to accept the agenda as proposed, seconded by Terry.

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Firecron Ltd.)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (ARM)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)
Brad Van Treuren (Nokia)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)
Sivakumar Vijayakumar (Keysight)

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Louis Ungar (ATE Solutions)
Gregory Zucaro (NAVAIR Lakehurst)

2. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent slides reviewed.
    • No comments.

3. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • August 27 (draft circulated August 27)
    • No corrections noted.
    • Brian moved to approve, Brad seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

4. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 11}
  • [21.1] Brad: Supply Ian with glossary definitions used by 1687.1 for "transformation" and "retargeting".
    • No updates.
    • ONGOING.
  • [27.2] Legacy Initiative Group to propose definition for "SJTAG".
    • Some comments have been added on the forum.
    • ONGOING.
  • The above may need to be carried over to a future Working Group.
  • [P3.1] Legacy Initiative Group members to try to identify pertinent pre-existing diagrams for ITC talk, particularly any that can be used to highlight relationship between SJTAG and STAM.
    • Some suggestions posted.
    • ONGOING.

5. Discussion Topics

a) ITC Poster.

  • {Slide 12}
  • No activity on the forums so far (http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=791). Expect to take some material from the talk over to the poster, so the two can be related.
  • Question arose whether our poster was on the program (not in the ITC Advance Program).  Abstract was prepared some time ago, but IEEE standards posters are often added in at the last minute.

b) ITC Invited Talk.

  • NTF is only a 10 minutes update. Jan Heiber of Goepel will be attending and can be briefed to present on our behalf. Any questions can be directed by to us.  Probably the timeline and outline of what STAM is are main points of interest.
  • Reviewed recent posts from the forums {http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?p=1390#p1390 - shared}.
  • STAM is probably more like "middleware".
  • There are things we tabled as a study group, e.g. "how would you model test coverage in a system?" that would fall under the heading of "SJTAG".
  • Use Cases and Applications are somewhat orthogonal.
  • Context is the difference between a Use Case and an Application - we have multiple use cases because the context changes between applications.
  • Really dealing with two level of protocol, e.g. I2C protocol plus the protocol for the data link - what is sent across it and how it is used.  1687.1's solution is just to use a callback but that may not work as you need to work across two domains.
  • Michele's "SJTAG Visualisation" diagram: Decomposition of test controller's and models {Figure 2 of Green Paper: http://www.sjtag.org/news/305-an-sjtag-architectural-concept shared}. Is this SJTAG or STAM? Probably SJTAG, but STAM is in the interface dotted lines, possibly even wrapping all the "Module" boxes.
  • The EST Example {Slide 5 from http://files.sjtag.org/BTW2014/Test_Managers_and_Controllers.pdf, shared} could be simplified and adapted - doesn't need most of the external entities and STAM needs to be inserted below the Test Step Controller.
  • Both diagrams could be updated for the talk {ACTION}.
  • Joel would like to use a list of participants - Ian can supply.
  • Joel has updated the Timeline from the 2017 poster (included in the updated slide pack http://files.sjtag.org/ITC2018/STAM_ITC18_v0_2.pdf).

6. Today's Key Takeaways

  • {Slide 13}
  • None.

7. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • Use Case Context, Application Context.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
    • 1687.1: Transformation, Retargetting.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • SJTAG: Discussion on forums - http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=782
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package (1149.1 opted for "entity" in order to be non-specific).
      • Correction to the above remark: It has been pointed out that 1149.1 actually defines conformance in terms of "component" (c.f. COMPONENT_CONFORMANCE attribute in BSDL), and "entity" only pertains to BSDL where it is simply inherited from VHDL. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".

8. Topic for next meeting

9. Schedule next meeting

  • September 24.
    • Joel and Brian will be out.

10. Reminders

11. Any Other Business

  • None.

12. List New Action Items

  • [P4.1] Ian, Brad to update Michele's diagram and EST Example for Joel.

13. Adjourn

  • Terry moved to adjourn, seconded by Brian.
  • Meeting adjourned at 11:51 AM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh