Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.96, 2021-02-08

Meeting called to order: 11:06 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_96.pdf

The cumulative reference pack is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx (updated Dec 31, 2020)

iMeetCentral site: https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/sjtag-sg/ 

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo) (chair)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions) (joined 11:36)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies) (joined 11:14)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Joel Irby (AMD)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Tom Thompson (for IEEE)

2. Agenda

  • Brad moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Terry, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed without comment.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #95, February 1 (draft circulated February 1)
    • Change "No-Hot" to "n-Hot-no-zero", insert "how to" before "access" in 2nd last bullet of section 7.
    • Brad moved to approve with the above amendments, Joel seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 13}
  • P1149.7 still has one issue to address related to dated references to other standards, e.g. references to figures.
  • P1581 is looking for participants and a CfP is being issued through IEEE Marketing, expected by middle of this week.

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) How much transparency do we need at each level?

  • {Slide 14}
  • If you have intimate knowledge of every layer, as in Brad's example then you can have one program doing all the generation. But if that program could support plug-ins then you can bring parts of that capability in from elsewhere.  We should aim to support plug-ins.
  • This would offer more scope to protect IP, etc., and to "future-proof" the standard.
  • This was an expectation of Brad's work.
  • You do need to standardise how something will "plug in" - this is where we often end up talking about "an API".
  • In Brad's diagram "Generalize P2654 SW Model" {slide 46} the upper edge of the "ModelPoint (adapter)" boxes is probably something to standardise.
  • Injection Strategies handle canned tests e.g. SVF and STAPL.  In "Model Node Interfaces" {slide 41} the linkage between the Injection Strategy and the Injection Nodes is purely via the associated Model Node.  Injection Nodes are similar to Client Model Nodes but can't be considered identical.  Injection will use a different internal path through the model from more interactive types of operation although the physical paths in hardware will be the same in both cases.
  • Tooling needs to be able to pull in plug-ins that originate from different sources. There should not be any constraints over the languages used to code either the plug-in or the tooling but the published interface will need to conform to some definition.
  • Plug-ins may also need to have a minimum set of defined (administrative) things that the associated transform must be able to do. 
  • Overall, need to support canned tests, but not only canned tests. 
  • Additional material referenced today is included as slides slides 31-49.

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 15}
  • Ian appoints Louis as Secretary.  Handover will necessarily take a little time and so Ian will continue to perform some parts of the role during this transition.

9. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None. 

10. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • February 15, 2021

12. Topic for next meeting

  • Continue: How much transparency do we need at each level?
  • What does a Transform Strategy need to perform?

13. Reminders

  • Reiterate: Michele Portolan has proposed a workshop at ETS 2021. Related to a special session of papers to be run by Martin Keim.
  • Please consider joining P1581. 

14. List New Action Items

  • None.

15. Adjourn

  • Brad moved to adjourn, seconded by Terry.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:05 PM EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh