Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.91, 2021-01-04

Meeting called to order: 11:05 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_91.pdf

The cumulative reference pack is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx (updated Dec 31, 2020)

iMeetCentral site: https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/sjtag-sg/ 

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions) (joined 11:43)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics) (joined 11:08)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Joel Irby (AMD)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Tom Thompson (for IEEE)

2. Agenda

  • Brian moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Terry, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed without comment.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #90, December 14 (draft circulated December 14)
    • No correction noted.
    • Joel moved to approve, Brad seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 13}
  • Michele Portolan has proposed a workshop at ETS 2021 - proposal accepted, now seeking participants.
  • P1581 is scheduled to hold it's first meeting on January 13 at 10 AM Eastern.  Interested potential participant from JEDEC has raised the issue of replacing Master-Slave terminology (JEDEC have adopted a policy on this). 

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Update on WG elections

  • {Slide 14}
  • Officers elected:
    • Ian McIntosh - Chair
    • Brian Erickson - Vice-chair
    • Eric Cormack - Editor
  • There is currently no Secretary as no nomination was accepted.  According to our P&P, the chair needs to appoint someone to the role.
  • If there are no volunteers, then we can possibly look at sharing the workload with one or more "deputies" acting under a nominated Secretary.  Ian would need to check with Tom Thompson on the acceptability of such an arrangement {ACTION}
  • The role of the Secretary, from the P&P {slide 15}, was shared - the main aspects being maintaining the attendance records, recording the minutes of meetings, including actions and votes.
  • Louis offered that, absent any other offer, he could take on the position if supported by Ian and/or others in the group.

7 b) Review new diagrams from over the holiday period

  • {Slide 16}
  • All prior additional slides have now been moved into the Reference Pack (see link at head of these notes).
  • Brad has been working on an analysis slide pack (as yet incomplete so not linked here) and discussion followed around a few of the diagrams from that pack.
  • Query on convention for drawing Host-Client relationships: Vertically, Host will be above Client. Horizontally, Host will be to the left of the Client.  Possible confusion arises in the horizontal depiction because Client requests to the Host are shown above Host responses: Hardware oriented perspective perceives requests flowing from the top level (i.e. Host to Client).  Possible need for a diagram to help resolve this for the reader.
  • Perhaps easier to think of it as starting from knowing what you want to apply at the endpoint (instrument, register) then the model is a ripple back of what needs done at each node to achieve that until you get to what the application (test software) needs to apply at the "top level" of the hardware.
  • Requirement is that you must be able to model each node: Does that imply a problem for COTS/black box where we cannot model what is inside? Model it as a black box - what needs to be done to apply e.g. canned vectors.
  • What about the notion of being able to query for what features elements of a system can do?  That could be part of what is published for a Black Box model.
  • What about asynchronous events, e.g. set up component X to do something then wait until component Y observes the result. That probably requires polling as I2C, SPI and 1149.1 don't have any way to autonomously flag an event.
  • What will this look like for the end user? will it seem too complex, and so the standard gets little or no uptake? Diagrams presented so far are just a snippet, looking at the relationship between two nodes.
  • The user needs to have an understanding of how P2654 works.  Is that always true?  It'll depend on the user - many will simply want to know how to supply the inputs for software tools offered by tool vendors.  Others (e.g. in embedded cases)  will need the deep understanding as they will effectively be their own tool producer.
  • Analogy: People writing code don't need/want to know how the compiler works. Counter-argument: You need to know the inner working of 1687 if you want to write PDL for it.

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 17}
  • None.

9. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None. 

10. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • January 11, 2021

12. Topic for next meeting

  • Discuss whether we are supporting an un programmed board/system or one with intelligence already operational in it?

13. Reminders

  • Ian re-iterated the recommendation to all WG participants to take up the IEEE-SA WG Chair Fundamentals training as it gives a good background to the standards development process, roles and responsibilities and the relationship to bodies like NesCom, RevCom, PatCom, etc.  The course is broken into 12 modules and takes roughly 4 hours in total, but you can work through the modules at your own pace.  There seems to be no charge for this course even for non-IEEE members.
    Link: http://go.standards.ieee.org/p0000F08mL000S8YTD0SDP0

14. List New Action Items

  • [91.1] Ian: Check with Tom Thompson on using deputies to support Secretary role.

15. Adjourn

  • Peter moved to adjourn, seconded by Eric.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:10 PM EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh