Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.69, 2020-06-15

Meeting called to order: 11:12 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_69.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions) (joined 11:32)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments) (joined 11:31)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Joel Irby (AMD)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
---

2. Agenda

  • Brad moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Jon, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed.
    • Clarification following questions raised during meeting 68:
    • For previously unpublished material presented to the WG, there is a license granted to IEEE to allow re-use of that material/information - this essentially allows the WG to make use of the information and re-publish as necessary.  This means that contributors ought to take care to not share anything that they consider to be protected IP or commercially sensitive.  The license does not extend beyond the information shared with the WG and does not otherwise limit the contributor's rights to the material.  It would be best for new presentation material, specifically prepared for the WG's benefit, to use the IEEE-SA template. 
    • Where material has been previously published, the contributor needs give the WG clarity on the extent to which it can or cannot re-use the information presented, preferably prior to presenting the material. 

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #68, June 8 (draft circulated June 8)
    • No corrections advised.
    • Brian moved to approve, Carl seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 13}
  • None.

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) UTAP Q&A

  • {Slide 14}
  • Follow-up last week's presentation by Peter.
  • How does this fit into P2654? Is it an example of a standardised interface?  It is a demonstrator for a set of IP blocks: Data can come in on any port and go out on any port. It is a different approach to the matter of dealing with transformations.
  • This is IP that can be placed in e.g. an FPGA, so it's essentially a hardware approach? It's H/W paired with S/W as you need that software to carry knowledge of what's downstream. That could be something like a DLL.
  • There have been problems with relying on DLLs before as some vendors might only choose to support specific operating systems. Point is that it may not be appropriate or desirable to offer PDL descriptions in some cases, e.g. with a COTS item.
  • Unclear on where e.g. a SVF player would reside: It seems from some aspects that it could be at the lowest level, but from other aspect it looks like it could be at the top? It depends on what the SVF is: The SVF might be one instruction or a series of instructions; you need to wrap each instruction appropriately for what is downstream from where you apply it. The aim though is to make use of existing tools.
  • So this is one possible option (of many) that P2654 might need to cater for (a use case). Would it be an option for a COTS vendor that wants to present a testability interface  but obscure what is behind it? Yes, that would be an application.  
  • What about the case where someone has a SPI to I2C bridge in an ASIC? You wouldn't be able to add the UTAP IP for that but irrespective you'd still need some S/W wrapper for the transformation for P2654.
  • The hope is to have a standardised description, like that with iSCSI. By contrast, memory modelling is currently described differently across all the tool vendors so tests cannot be easily ported.
  • Does this include interactive execution? It can handle interactivity.  That implies generation of vectors on the fly. This is about relaying the data across interfaces, it doesn't care about what the instrument is or where/how the vectors are generated.
  • Peter offers a live demo after the conclusion of this meeting for anyone interested and available.

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 15}
  • None.

9. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None.

10. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • June 22, 2020.

12. Topic for next meeting

  • a) Definitions from forums
  • b) Diagrams for Standard

13. Reminders

  • None.

14. List New Action Items

  • None.

15. Adjourn

  • Brian moved to adjourn, seconded by Terry.
  • Meeting adjourned at 11:55 AM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh