Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.64, 2020-05-04

Meeting called to order: 11:08 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_64.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments) (left 11:30)

Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (AMD)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
---

2. Agenda

  • Eric moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Terry, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #63, April 27 (draft circulated April 27)
    • Correction: In 7a and 8, replace references to 'P1687.1' with '1149.7'.
    • Brad moved to approve as amended, Terry seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 12}
  • [38.1] Brad: Email brief instruction on using the simulation tool
    • Still ongoing.
  • [63.1] Ian: Circulate details of STAM iMeet Central workspace
    • Details circulated and WG participants added as members: Anyone who has still to respond to email invitations to register are encouraged to do so. COMPLETE
  • Action Item Register: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/ActionItemRegister.xlsx

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 13}
  • TTSC meeting recessed until May 13.
  • A number of standards are due to expire in 2020 or 2021 unless actively revised. Included are:
    • 1149.4, Mixed Signal Test Bus - likely to be activity to renew but may be partly superseded by P1687.2,
    • 1581, Static Component Interconnect Test - needed by JEDEC for DDR4 test.

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Close in on definition of 'System'

  • {Slide 14}
  • 'System' was discussed most recently and documented in the meeting slidepack (slide 21 and onwards).
  • Better to think in terms of attributes and characteristics rather than physical form: 
    • Has a hierarchy of parts (sub-systems)
    • Performs a function that is more than the function(s) of the constituent parts (synergy).
    • Has a brain/controller that can determine what actions the parts should take. 
    • Can a CPU be considered a system? It ought not to be, for our purposes, but might we end up defining 'System' in such a way that it could be included?
    • Could an 1149.1 TAP Controller be a 'System'? Again, it ought not to be.
  • A sub-system may or may not be a system in it's own right:
    • A PC may be a 'system' as it usable as it is, but it could be a sub-system when used as the controller of an ATE.
    • A PXI DMM has no usable function on its own and only serves a purpose when it is installed in a PXI rack with other parts.
  • Power needs to come from somewhere, so that may be an essential part of a system.
  • Reminded to look at existing proposed definition of System (in forum thread: http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=772) : This captures the notions of hierarchy and synergy and also includes "boundaries" which we have not discussed today. What is absent is the aspect of an ability to control.
  • Further points are recorded on slides 38 to 40 of the meeting pack.

  • Bullet points recorded during the earlier meetings are now moved to a separate reference file: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx.
  • Forum thread for comments on the outline: http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=1444#p1444

7 b) Select other definitions from forum

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 15}
  • Nordic Test Forum has deferred its conference to March 2021 (would typically have been late November or early December).
  • ITC has moved the deadline for paper submissions back a month, to end of May.

9. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None.

10. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None, but 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
  • Carried over:
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • May 11, 2020.

12. Topic for next meeting

  • a) Add Controller aspect to 'System' definition
  • b) Select other definitions from forum

13. Reminders

  • None.

14. List New Action Items

  • None.

15. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Brad.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:05 PM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh