Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.63, 2020-04-27

Meeting called to order: 11:08 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_63.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)

Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (AMD)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
---

2. Agenda

  • Eric moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Terry, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #62, April 20 (draft circulated April 20)
    • No corrections.
    • Brian moved to approve, Terry seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 13}
  • None.

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Continue outline of the draft

  • {Slide 14}
  • We've done a lot of work compiling a list of headings, bullet points and notes but are close to a point where we can start converting that into the format of the Standard? We probably can and Eric feels we're ready to start on that. Steps are get the template in place start transcribing the draft, get the draft in a protected location for the group to view.
  • P1149.7 are using an iMeet space to hold their draft - do we have that? Yes, there is an iMeet workspace for STAM, but we also have an option for a password protected area on our own site. iMeet may present less overhead for Ian, and seems to offer a "merge" facility that my be useful if multiple people are working on the same section of the draft.
  • The iMeet workspace was set up for the Study Group phase over two years ago. Ian has accessed it recently (it's never been used) but would need to dig out the details to circulate to the group {ACTION}.
  • Section 4 on slide 17 expanded to include "architecture" at 4.3.  In this case we are probably avoiding discussing any specific hardware architecture in order to be permissive of the requirements of the application, so this is probably more of a "soft architecture", leaning on the Software Model at 4.5.
  • Could that architecture description be part of the Overview? Overview will be an expansion of the Scope and Purpose from the PAR. 
  • In section 2 in slide 17, do we really have "normative references"?  If they're normative it tends to imply that they will be an integral part of the standard, whereas we are no requiring the use of any particular interface, rather permitting the use of almost any interface. Perhaps these are "informative references"?
  • If we rely on some behaviour described in e.g. 1687, then perhaps it would become a normative reference. This might be the case if we adopt the ICL/PDL from either 1687 or 1149.1-2013.
  • We likely want to keep any language choice aligned with P1687.1, however we don't want our standard to be held back if P1687.1 efforts are delayed (there is some discussion of needing to seek an extension), in which case P2654 may become the driver (there is good collaboration between the two groups so this ought not to be problem).
  • Bullet points recorded during the earlier meetings are now moved to a separate reference file: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx.
  • Forum thread for comments on the outline: http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=1444#p1444

7 b) Close in on definition of 'System'

  • Definition of 'system' was not really discussed due to lack of time but it was noted that Brad has created forum threads for a number of definitions emerging from the P1687.1 meetings: http://forums.sjtag.org/viewforum.php?f=40.  Ian has responded to only a couple of these.

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 15}
  • Brad illustrated the P1149.7 iMeet workspace.

9. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None.

10. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • May 4, 2020.

12. Topic for next meeting

  • a) Close in on definition of 'System'
  • b) Select other definitions from forum

13. Reminders

  • None.

14. List New Action Items

  • [63.1] Ian - Circulate details of STAM iMeet Central workspace.

15. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Terry.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:00 Noon EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh