Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.60, 2020-03-30

Meeting called to order: 11:05 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_60.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions) (joined 11:30)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (AMD)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
---

2. Agenda

  • Brad moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Terry, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #59, March 23 (draft circulated March 23)
    • One correction: Change "heir" to "their" in 7a.
    • Terry moved to approve as amended, Brad seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 13}
  • TTSC meeting has been moved back to April 29th.
  • P1149.7 held a vote on revisions to Chapter 23 (section had no specifications).

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Sketch out an outline of the draft

  • {Slide 14}
  • Bullet points recorded during the earlier meetings are now moved to a separate reference file: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx.
  • Draft outline is in slides 17-31 of this week's pack (linked in the heading of these minutes).
  • Re-cap on what would form a system and what might not be a system.
  • Proposal that LRU (or system) has the capability to decide where to send information - if something lacks that decision making control then it is not a system.
  • The control is a state machine.
  • A system may have internal control but could also be externally controlled.
  • Block diagram or tree structure? Tree is useful for describing hierarchy but doesn't readily show communications across branches (peer communication).
  • May have mixed signal comms involving digital command that set up some analogue output that is then sampled and reported in a digital message.  Could take this further: Data from either analogue or digital sources could be aggregated to, e.g., a simple good/bad flag. This is a transformation but unlike those we've previously considered where the data itself persisted through the transformation. This is not reciprocal - a "lossy transformation" as opposed to a "lossless transformation".
  • Could that cross over into P1687.1? Maybe more so when considering P1687.2.
  • Is this a "translation"? But "translation" tends to imply reciprocity more than "transformation" does, so have we been wrongly using "transformation" up to this point?  
  • Above discussion captured in slide pack {slides 23 and 25}.
  • Forum thread for comments on the outline: http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=1444#p1444.

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 15}
  • AutoTestCon deadline for executive summaries was today. It may be extended, but if not we will have missed out. If it is extended there may be scope to touch on material similar to the joint P1687.1/P2654 session that was suggested for ETS,

9. Today's Key Takeaways

  • Translation vs Transformation.

10. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • Translation may need to be defined.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • April 6, 2020.

12. Topic for next meeting

  • Use Cases: Intent and objectives.
  • What is a system, what is not a system? (Continuation)

13. Reminders

  • None.

14. List New Action Items

  • [60.1] Brad to raise differentiation of Translation from Transformation with P1687.1 group.

15. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Terry.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:02 PM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh