Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.57, 2020-03-09

Meeting called to order: 11:03 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_57.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (AMD)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Jon Stewart (Dell)

2. Agenda

  • Brian moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Terry, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #56, March 2 (draft circulated March 2)
    • No corrections noted.
    • Brad moved to approve, Terry seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 12}
  • [38.1] Brad: Email brief instruction on using the simulation tool
    • Some progress, ongoing.
  • [56.1] Brad to request "LoA in principle" from Michele.
    • Brad has contacted Michele who will supply the LoA, likely to Ian - COMPLETE.
  • Action Item Register: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/ActionItemRegister.xlsx

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 13}
  • New officers appointed for P1500, P1687.2 and P2427.
  • Brad presented our Glossary arrangement to P1687.1.

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Sketch out an outline of the draft

  • {Slide 14}
  • Bullet points recorded during the earlier meetings are now moved to a separate reference file: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx.
  • Draft outline is in slides 17-26 of this week's pack (linked in the heading of these minutes).
  • Discussion continued expanding on the sub-topic within "System Concepts", primarily 8 e) on discovery of resources available from a sub-system/sub-assembly {slide 21}, and 8 f) what were we looking for in terms of "available test targets" {slide 22}.
  • 8 e):
    • Unsure that querying for available resources is within our current scope. If not, does that preclude including third party sub-assemblies? Should not but there would then have to be a static declaration of some sort. 
    • Could consider this as "Dynamic discovery" vs "Static discovery".
    • Static discovery is an essential feature, dynamic discovery might be "nice to have".
    • The notion of discovery is probably a key discriminator between P2654 and P1687.1.
  • 8 f):
    • Do we deal with only reagisters or are we considering ports too?
    • Are we clear on what is meant by a "port" - Is an I2C devices port its address? 1687's ports are signals.
    • Is there a standard IEEE definition for "port" - assumed not since standards seem to frequently need to provide their own definitions of terms.  The Authoritative Dictionary of IEEE Standards Terms, Seventh Edition, IEEE Std 100-2000 , offers a range of definitions for "port" some of which may be relevant to our context, which have been copied to the slide {Post meeting note: IEEE Std 100-2000 is flagged as "Inactive, Withdrawn"}
  • Forum thread for comments on the outline: http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=1444#p1444.

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 15}
  • AutoTestCon: Abstract due by end of this month. Possibly a sub-topic for "system test", perhaps look at a use case. Needs to be something we'rte pursuing, not a diversion.
  • ITC: Deadline is probably also approaching, but things tend to be more flexible for posters.

9. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None.

10. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • 'Port' needs to be developed.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • March 16, 2020.
    • Absences: Richard out, possibly Eric.
    • Reminder on time: Meeting is at 11 US Eastern, or 3 PM GMT/4PM CET.

12. Topic for next meeting

  • Continue on outline of the draft: Assembly of assemblies, "system" definition.
  • Use Cases: Intent and objectives.

13. Reminders

  • None.

14. List New Action Items

  • None.

15. Adjourn

  • Peter moved to adjourn, seconded by Terry.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:01 PM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh