Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.48, 2020-01-06

Meeting called to order: 11:08 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_48.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (Arm)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions) (joined 11:16)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

2. Agenda

  • Brad moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Eric, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #47, December 16 (draft circulated December 16)
    • No corrections noted.
    • Eric moved to approve, Terry seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 12}
  • [29.1] Terry to update Glossary (Due in two weeks).
    • Ongoing.
  • [38.1] Brad: Email brief instruction on using the simulation tool
    • Some progress but not ready yet. Expect to provide Python and C++ example drivers.
  • Action Item Register: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/ActionItemRegister.xlsx

6. Discussion Topics

6 a) Sketch out an outline of the draft

  • {Slide 13}
  • Bullet points recorded during the previous meetings are retained in this pack for reference {slides 15-27}.
  • IEEE Word template contains embedded instructions and automation forms to populate a number of fields. Probably best to work within the group using PowerPoint and leave transferring content into the template document to Eric as Editor.
  • Slide 28 created to collect headings - Basically taken from the coloured headings collated previously. Initially these have mostly been placed under "Concepts and Architecture" but some may end up moved elsewhere in due course. 
  • Brad will post the headings to the forums to accommodate discussion and comment prior to next week's meeting.

6 b) Define one or two Use Cases we can use for prototyping

  • Jeff Rearick's Use Case for P1687.1, which Brad has been working on with his simulation tool, is probably overly complex for our use, but an interactive element similar to one of the sub-parts of that example could be useful. A SerDes example was proposed (slide 29 added) which could offer a number of different sub-cases.
  • A simpler, TDR/interconnect type of use case was also suggested, which could have variations similar to those in the SerDes example.
  • Whether the end-points are on the same or different boards is probably irrelevant as the solution would be the same in either case but using different interface domains is more likely to be illustrative of the multi-board, system environment our standard aims to support.
  • This topic will probably be best handled by a tiger team as working through the use cases may not be a good use of the weekly meeting time.

7. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 14}
  • IPC APEX 2020:
    •  A short pack of 8.5x11 slides have been provided to IPC to use as "placeholders" for the poster in order to meet the delivery deadline. Louis will get the large format poster printed later and take it to the Convention Centre to replace the placeholder slides.

8. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None.

9. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting
    • ATCA, IPMI, REST RWS, SMBUS, PMBUS, MDIO, ISP.
    • LRU and SRA.

10. Schedule next meeting

  • January 13, 2020.
    • Louis and Bill will be out.

11. Topic for next meeting

  • Continue on outline of the draft.

12. Reminders

  • TTSC meeting is scheduled for January 8, 2020.

13. List New Action Items

  • None.

14. Adjourn

  • Brad moved to adjourn, seconded by Eric.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:06 PM EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh