Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.47, 2019-12-16

Meeting called to order: 11:03 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_47.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (Arm)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors) (temporarily dropped from call 11:34-11:47)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)

2. Agenda

  • Eric moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Jon, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #46, December 9 (draft circulated December 9)
    • No corrections noted.
    • Brian moved to approve, Joel seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Discussion Topics

6 a) Planning our Standard

  • {Slides 13-28}
  • Bullet points recorded during the previous meetings are retained in this pack for reference {slides 16-28}.
  • Slides 14 and 15 were inserted during the meeting to record points raised in response to the questions posed in the topic starter on slide 13 - Do we want to offer flexibility in where  the handoff from P2654 occurs?
  • We need to be clear in defining what our requirement is for an interface to be compliant with the standard. There is typically a lot of variability in the detail on offer. We will need a minimum set of information to be compliant although optional additional information may be used.
  • Some customers may want to jump down to lower levels (e.g. direct access to an instrument, bypassing hierarchy or intermediate standards) due to efficiency (vector size and complexity) and/or speed benefits.
  • Not practical to make all interfaces follow the same exchange pattern (e.g. CSU cycle).
  • Abstraction (via callbacks) could mean we don't care what level of interface we hand off to.
  • Refer to the pack (linked at the top of these minutes) for further matters discussed.
  • Work to start 2020:
    • Sketch out an outline of the draft.
    • Define one or two Use Cases we can use for prototyping against.
      • Brad has worked with Jeff Rearick's Use Case for P1687.1 ("Example for Dynamic Decision Making", part-way down this page: https://github.com/bradfordvt/P2654Simulations), but this may be too complex for us just now (may be useful as a "worked example" in an annex to the standard).
      • Does the Use Case we choose need to demonstrate working across different interfaces?
    • Research via prototypes

7. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 27}
  • IPC APEX 2020:
    • An abstract, adapted from the one used for the ITC poster has been prepared. Louis will submit.
    • Printing a full size poster may be problematic as it would need to be printed and set up in advance and Louis is unlikely to be in place to do that. Typical IPC practice is to print out individual slides from a pack and lay them out in order to make up e.g. a 3x4 grid.
    • Current poster would need to be adapted to suit the preferred form, but much of the material originated from PowerPoint slides. Ian will work on adaptions.
    • As the slide pack needs to be submitted early January, before we can meet again, work will need to be done via email over the coming weeks. 
    • There is also a tri-fold flyer that we've used as a handout alongside posters in the past but it probably hasn't been updated for a while (http://www.sjtag.org/documents/publications).

8. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None.

9. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15 meeting
    • ATCA, IPMI, REST RWS, SMBUS, PMBUS, MDIO, ISP.
    • LRU and SRA.

10. Schedule next meeting

  • January 6, 2020.
    • Carl will be out.
  • A new WebEx invite needs to be set up for 2020.  Carl proposes to use the mailing list address as a single invitee. Anyone joining after the initial invite goes out can simply be forwarded a copy.

11. Topic for next meeting

  • Sketch out an outline of the draft.
  • Define one or two Use Cases we can use for prototyping.

12. Reminders

  • TTSC meeting is scheduled for January 8, 2020.

13. List New Action Items

  • None.

14. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Carl.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:06 PM EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh