Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.46, 2019-12-09

Meeting called to order: 11:06 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_46.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics) (joined 11:45)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (Arm)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright) (joined 11:08)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)
Jon Stewart (Dell) (joined 11:09)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions) (joined 11:16)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
---

2. Agenda

  • Eric moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Brad, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #45, December 2 (draft circulated December 2)
    • No corrections noted.
    • Eric moved to approve, Carl seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Discussion Topics

6 a) Planning our Standard

  • {Slides 13-26}
  • Bullet points recorded during the last two meetings are retained in this pack for reference.
  • It wasn't clear whether all the points recorded during the November 25 meeting have a corresponding reference in the organised section created last week, or if some have been missed.  "Colour-coding" the text to show correspondence across the two groups of slides revealed some items that had still to be categorized and these were added to the organized section.
  • Additional discussion around portability brought out several new sub-bullets on this topic {slide24}.
  • Refer to the pack (linked at the top of these minutes).

7. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 27}
  • Joel volunteers as Social Media Manager for the group. Ian will set Joel up as a Manager of the SJTAG LinkedIn group allowing him to "recommend" any pertinent posts to the group members allowing them to pass the message on through their own networks.
  • Twitter is also proposed. The @SJTAG handle is already taken but @IEEE_SJTAG was available and Joel has claimed this. Use of handles related to STAM or P2654 was considered: P2654 would be limited as in due course the 'P' would no longer be relevant. In any case hashtags #STAM and #P2654 could be used just as effectively.
  • A Facebook page may be useful for many businesses trying to connect with potential customers but doesn't seem appropriate for us.  Other social media channels (Instagram, Pinterest, etc.) seem similarly inappropriate and would just create more management overhead for probably negligible reach.
  • Use posting of material indirectly linked with STAM , e.g. news on other TTSC standards, as means of keeping P2654 in people's minds.
  • There is an opportunity to offer a poster for IPC APEX 2020 in February. Louis will be attending with a poster of his own but could probably cover a STAM poster too. The ITC poster could most likely be re-used with little or no change. The physical poster used at ITC was not recovered, so Louis would need to arrange for re-printing. Ian can supply the necessary file(s).

8. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None.

9. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15 meeting
    • ATCA, IPMI, REST RWS, SMBUS, PMBUS, MDIO, ISP.
    • LRU and SRA.

10. Schedule next meeting

  • December 16, 2019.
    • Terry will be out.
  • December 16 will be our last meeting of 2019, resuming on January 6, 2020.

11. Topic for next meeting

  • Planning our standard (cont'd).
    • Continue categorizing points.
  • Possibly think about work to start off 2020.

12. Reminders

  • None.

13. List New Action Items

  • None.

14. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Terry.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:07 PM EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh