Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.43, 2019-11-18

Meeting called to order: 11:06 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_43.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (Arm)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)

2. Agenda

  • Eric moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Brian, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • Meeting #42, November 11 (draft circulated November 11)
    • No corrections noted.
    • Terry moved to approve, Eric seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Discussion Topics

6 a) Commentary on TTSC meeting

  • {Slide 12}
  • Following points are in addition to those on the meeting slide pack:
    • 1149.7 (Jason Peck) asking if there are any revisions to be considered (currently there are none noted). Aggressive timetable, aiming to submit for ballot early next year, possibly February.
    • IEEE-CEDA group: "Debug port", not limited to 1149.1. Aims to standardise capture of state bits in SoCs to augment EDA tools. Probably won't be supporting legacy designs, drives new hardware. Non-intrusive state capture, aligns with one of our cases. CEDA group couldn't sponsor the activity as hardware interfaces are outside of their scope. Group includes some academic specialists on security.

6 b) Review of ITC

  • Heiko's observations:
    • Attendance claimed to be up 15% on previous years.
    • Technical content appeared a little "light" - fewest papers in several years and many of the presentations were invited.
    • A handful of people stopped by our poster to talk about it, one noting it was better presented than most. A couple of people were interested in the principles of SJTAG and might join some calls. Jan manned the poster for last 15 or 20 minutes. People were photographing the poster - advised to check the website as the poster would be available there in due course {ACTION: Ian to publish poster}.
    • Presentation was the day after the poster session. Around 60 people in the room for an 8:30 session seemed good when there were other presentations at the same time. Some people liked the presentation but felt it would be difficult to explain to others.
    • Point raised about terms like AccessLink and DataLink becoming confused across different usages.  This was why Brad started the notion of an Access Point.
    • Question raised about managing timing/synchronisation across differing interfaces - this is where callbacks would be utilised.
  • Jan's observations:
    • Thought the presentation went over well: Left people with the impression that while this was a complex task but that it wasn't unmanageable.
    • On  ITC generally: Some "hype" of 50 years of ITC but technical content of papers wasn't as good as previous years.
    • On the other hand, posters were better than last year, maybe 50 compared to 30, more time available and more people visiting posters and engaging with presenters (not just wandering round).
    • Some visitors to our poster expressed interest but not enough to join our calls.
    • Standards posters were not grouped together (same last year). Ours and P1687.1 were probably the only Standards posters this year.
  • Can the presentation be published? Heiko can prepare a PDF of the full slides and a PDF of "handouts" with slides and notes {ACTION: Heiko to prepare PDFs of the presentation}
  • On the day before ITC, Jeff Rearick was presented with an award for his contribution to standards development.
  • P1687.1 held their weekly meeting during ITC, but a day later than usual to accommodate the TTSC meeting. Brad gave an update on their discussion on his slide pack:
    • Is the DPIC multi-level in order to cope with the conventional 1687 portal register and the registerless case where a configuration is set by stepping through a state machine? We will need to consider the registerless case too.
    • A vector is fixed length at the 1687 network edge only within a given iApply statement.

7. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 13}
  • None.

8. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None.

9. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15 meeting
    • ATCA, IPMI, REST RWS, SMBUS, PMBUS, MDIO, ISP.
    • LRU and SRA.

10. Schedule next meeting

  • November 25, 2019 (Thanksgiving, US is on November 28)
    • Terry will be out.

11. Topic for next meeting

  • Planning our standard.

12. Reminders

  • None.

13. List New Action Items

  • 43.1: Ian: Publish ITC poster on website.
  • 43.2: Heiko: Prepare PDFs of ITC presentation.

14. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Terry.
  • Meeting adjourned at 11:53 AM EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh