Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.33, 2019-09-09

Meeting called to order: 11:06 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_33.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (Arm)
Erik Larsson (Lund University)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors) (joined 11:11)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)
Jon Stewart (Dell) (joined 11:07)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Brad Van Treuren (No affiliation)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
---

2. Agenda

Noted that the minutes to be reviewed are August 26 not August 19.
Eric moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Terry, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent slides reviewed.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • Meeting #32, August 26 (draft circulated August 26)
    • No corrections.
    • Eric moved to approve, Brad seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 11}
  • [29.1] Terry to update Glossary (Due in two weeks).
    • Texts have been drafted, but not yet transferred to the Wiki Glossary.
    • Ian proposes a session to brief officers in "driving the website" {ACTION}.
    • Ongoing.
  • [30.1] Tiger team to provide a schedule for what they plan to do by August 26th.
    • Terry will lead this team.
    • Important to reach the "right" people within the EDA community: developers, not just marketers.
    • Eric will draft a list of steps for the team to take.
    • Ongoing.
  • Action Item Register: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/ActionItemRegister.xlsx

6. Discussion Topics

6 a) Comments on AutoTestCon

  • {Slide 12}
  • Brad had some feedback on the P1687.1 via Al Crouch: "The big question was: is the IC provider going to make these embedded tests available to the board test community?".
  • Louis also felt he had good feedback but felt that a lot of what he presented may not have been understood; there probably wasn't enough knowledge of 1149.1 in the audience and not enough time to introduce it properly. Tutorials at AutoTestCon are old and there's maybe only 1/2 hour on JTAG. However, there were several JTAG related presentations and best paper went to a JTAG paper by Asset InterTech.
  • Some previous SJTAG members expressed some interest in coming back, but getting a charge number for the hour can be difficult. "Observer" membership and email/forum participation is OK though, the only limitation is that voting membership requires attendance on the calls.
  • Attendance is probably down on past years, but 30+ people attended each of the papers by Heiko and Louis, maybe 70 overall.

6 b) Recap on past SJTAG survey data

  • References are:
  • 2006 survey was briefly looked at, as far as p22. Many of the questions posed then are not relevant to the current interest (some were to test how well the SJTAG White Paper had been understood). Others clearly didn't give enough detail, e.g. Q4 asking the respondent's business sector offered "tool vendor" as an option, but most respondents would have been test tool vendors, while we are now more interested in EDA tools and particularly in those people with a role in determining how those tools will work.

7. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 13}
  • TTSC meeting was inquorate last week and is reconvening this week (September 11th), however three motions were put out for email approval, including the motion to approve our P&P: All motions have passed so our P&P is now approved by TTSC.

8. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None.

9. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15 meeting
    • ATCA, IPMI, REST RWS, SMBUS, PMBUS, MDIO, ISP.
    • LRU and SRA.

10. Schedule next meeting

  • September 16, 2019

11. Topic for next meeting

  • Handoffs
    • Possible partitioning of our problem space.

12. Reminders

  • None.

13. List New Action Items

  • Ian: Arrange suitable time for "training" on use of the website.

14. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Terry.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:04 PM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh