Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.30, 2019-08-12

Meeting called to order: 11:07 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_30.pdf

1. Roll Call

Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics) (joined 11:10)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies) (joined 11:15)
Peter Horwood (Firecron Ltd.) (joined 11:17)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Brad Van Treuren (No affiliation)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Joel Irby (Arm)
Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)

2. Agenda

Brad moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Eric, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent slides reviewed.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • Meeting #29, August 5 (updated draft circulated August 8th)
    • No corrections.
    • Eric moved to approve, Brad seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Discussion Topics

6 a) Business case for STAM - Continue discussion of other system maintenance protocols

  • {Slide 12}
  • Can we survey the vendors about their system offerings.
  • Should  we invite tool vendors to the team?  We talked about how IEEE could get in trouble if it was felt that they had left some vendors out and the vendors felt that they had given preferential treatment to their competitors.  We don’t want to do that.
  • We discussed the possibility of adding an open (public) invitation to the tool vendors on our web-site.  This might not be seen as having the same problem as individual invites.
  • Brad mentioned that we would not really see what the vendors tools were doing, for example, are they using retargeters or not.  So we may not get the benefit we want.
  • Louis recommended reaching out to publications that cover the Test Market.  We’re wondering if there is an email alias that could be used to return feedback gathered either by survey or contacting publishers.
  • Heiko mentioned that he thought there was a method within IEEE to reach out to vendors to request input or participation.  To determine this, we would need to contact Soo Kim who is the contact for TTSC.
  • Jan Schat questioned whether all vendors weren’t in IEEE.  It was felt they would have representatives in IEEE.
  • Brian stated we should make sure we have contacted all to ensure compliance in the future.  (Those who weren’t contacted might not cooperate with standard.)
  • Can we put an ad on other IEEE pages to point vendors to SJTAG site?
  • We need to contact Ian for past surveys: Brad also has some.  Need to sift through these surveys for more STAM-centric information.  We may need to categorize by functional area: EDA, Validation, etc.  Terry mentioned that this type of activity was better done by a smaller team.  A tiger team was formed: Heiko, Terry, and Brad.  To get together and come up with a STAM survey analysis and recommendation.

6 b) Review of AutoTestCon slides

  • Quick discussion of AutoTestCon Slides.  Louis was not ready to do the whole  presentation, but had some questions on the slides. 
    • Which protocols are higher level—not so deep in the hardware?
    • Which will STAM need to support or fit into?
    • Mil Spec 1553 is a single wire protocol for communicating at the machine language level.
    • The ARINC standard is a bus that is used in avionics, so we may need to support it as well.
  • New terms from the slides:  LRU-Line Replaceable Unit, and SRA-Shop Repairable Assembly
  • The slides talk about how the military could benefit from STAM as it could allow them use of 1149
  • It was mentioned that high reliability applications do not want to allow the TCLK to clock data into the chip since it might be incorrectly done and result in a bad state in the chip.

7. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 13}
  • Presentation for special session at ITC.
  • Next TTSC meeting is September 4 - Ian unlikely to attend.
    • Heiko will be attending the TTSC meeting on Sep 4th.
  • PAR proposed to keep 1149.7 active.
  • Brad mentioned that we need to keep time limits in mind as the standards committee has decided that groups that are taking too long will have to refile their PAR

8. Today's Key Takeaways

  • Formal Survey of tool vendors needed.
  • May be areas beyond Mil-Aero and server space that we need to investigate.  (Servers, Mil-Aero, Transportation, Telecomm were mentioned).

9. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • LRU and SRA
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15 meeting
    • ATCA, IPMI, REST RWS, SMBUS, PMBUS, MDIO, ISP.

10. Schedule next meeting

  • August 19, 2019
    • Richard out next week.

11. Topic for next meeting

  • Review of AutoTestCon slides—Louis will do the full presentation for us.
  • Review of new glossary terms by Terry if time allows.

12. Reminders

  • None.

13. List New Action Items

  • [30.1] Tiger team to provide a schedule for what they plan to do by August 26th.

14. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Peter.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:11 PM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Carl Walker