Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.24, 2019-07-01

Meeting called to order: 11:07 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_24.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Firecron Ltd.) (joined 11:21)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (Arm)
Brad Van Treuren (No affiliation)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)
Jon Stewart (Dell)

2. Agenda

Eric moved to accept the agenda as proposed, seconded by Brad, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent slides reviewed.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • Meeting #23, June 24 (updated draft circulated June 26)
    • No further corrections.
    • Brad moved to approve, Eric seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Discussion Topics

6 a) Glossary

  • {Slide 12}
  • Brad enquired if the P1687.1 team could access and contribute to our glossary forum discussion. Ian thought so but would check.
  • A fresh copy of Brad's glossary pack was prepared to accept new edits/comments{shared}.
  • Active Element Group - includes the passives around an active part such that it forms a functional circuit. Probably doesn't help with our component/device/chip/IC debate but is possibly an additional term we could use.
  • Starting on the draft standard may help to focus thoughts on how we intend to use terms like 'component' and 'device' and therefor how they should be defined.
  • 'Component' may need to span the definition given in 1149.1-2013 and 1687. Possibly try and avoid using 'component' unless we intend it in its broad sense, e.g. including a COTS assembly.
  • 'Event' probably needs qualifiers. Perhaps an 'event' acting on a register is still "causing a change in the hardware state" simply on a different scale to how we viewed it. iApply updates the software model, the synchronisation of that the physical hardware is what satisfies the 'event'.
  • 'Functional Vector' is new to us. Wouldn't feature in 1149.1 as it didn't consider at-speed test, which now becomes a possibility. Implies that 'structural vector' also needs to be defined, for comparison/contrast.
  • Updated version of Brad's slides: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P1687_Glossary_at_P2654_Review20190701.pptx
  • Action 21.1 continues, new forum section for glossary comments: http://forums.sjtag.org/viewforum.php?f=40

6 b) Outline for Draft Standard

7. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 13}
  • Brad will provide Louis with a "refresher" on diagram(s) in advance of presentation.

8. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None.

9. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15 meeting

10. Schedule next meeting

  • July 8, 2019
    • Carl and Jan are out next week, Louis out between July 4 and July 28.

11. Topic for next meeting

  • Outline for draft standard.
  • Glossary.

12. Reminders

  • None.

13. List New Action Items

  • None.

14. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Brad.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:05 PM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh