Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.23, 2019-06-24

Meeting called to order: 11:05 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_23.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments) (joined 11:09)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics) (joined 11:20)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (Arm) (joined 11:20)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Brad Van Treuren (No affiliation)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
---

2. Agenda

Eric moved to accept the agenda as proposed, seconded by Brian, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent slides reviewed.
  • EISA ("Embedded Instrumentation Systems Architecture" - ITEA Journal 2009; 30: 99–110) - not believed to be relevant but noted for possible future reference.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • Meeting #22, June 17 (draft circulated June 17)
    • No corrections.
    • Terry moved to approve, Jon seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Discussion Topics

6 a) AutoTestCon material

  • {Slide 12}
  • Brad has the most recent edits to the paper{shared}.
  • Ian has been added as a co-author, but city need to be changed from 'Basildon' to 'Edinburgh'.
  • Could you use a wireless interface into STAM? Possibly: Lots of ways of providing remote access and many reasons for requiring it. Remote access to BScan can allow updates that may not be possible otherwise.
  • Automotive sector has standards that define the acceptable number of component failures over a time period: The Mil/Aero sector doesn't have set "standards" on this but requirement specifications will set an expectation on Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) (often "critical failures").
  • Military systems often need to be supported for 20 years or more, so maintainers may need to work on equipment that is a decade old. Obsolescence is an ongoing issue.
  • Repair is usually case of swap in an item from the spares inventory to get the equipment back in service, rather than doing component level fault finding and repair, although that sometimes happens. If the diagnostic is ambiguous to two or three replaceable items then the spares inventory can quickly become depleted. STAM can help by providing more focussed diagnostics with much greater certainty of indicting the correct replaceable part. 
  • Content of the paper is generally complete, some editing is still required. Diagrams need to be cleaned up:
    • Ian will look at figures 2 and 3 as he has the source files for those,
    • Brad will supply Heiko the files for figures 4, 5 and 6.
    • Diagram can be left in colour (but without backgrounds).
    • Diagrams 2, 4 and 6 may need to span both columns to be readable.
  • Louis is aiming to submit the paper into IEEE's system by 27th.
  • Copyright releases will likely follow.

6 b) Review of P1687.1 glossary proposals

7. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 13}
  • None.

8. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None.

9. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15 meeting

10. Schedule next meeting

  • July 1, 2019
    • Jan, Terry, Jon and Richard out.
    • Jan is out for next two weeks, Louis out between July 4 and July 28.

11. Topic for next meeting

  • Glossary.
  • Outline for draft standard.

12. Reminders

  • None.

13. List New Action Items

  • None.

14. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Brad.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:01 PM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh