Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.21, 2019-06-10

Meeting called to order: 11:06 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_21.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Firecron Ltd.)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (Arm)
Erik Larsson (Lund University)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Brad Van Treuren (No affiliation)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)

2. Agenda

Eric moved to accept the agenda as proposed, seconded by Brad, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent slides reviewed.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • Meeting #20, June 3 (draft circulated June 3)
    • No corrections.
    • Eric moved to approve, Brad seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Discussion Topics

6 a) Review of P1687.1 glossary proposals

  • {Slide 12}
  • Some items have been added to the SJTAG Glossary as these were felt to be "stable" between P2654 and P1687.1.
    • Access Point
    • Access Interface
    • Virtual Access Point
    • Retargeter
    • Pattern Retargetting
    • Retarget
  • Brad shared slide pack on glossary terms {http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P1687_Glossary_at_P2654_Review20190610.pptx}. Notes were added during discussion.
  • "Event" and "Transfrom" are still under discussion.  There are different types of event (and differing views on what an 'event' is) so this probably needs qualifiers added for disambiguation. The expressions 'Transaction-to-transaction transformation' and 'Transaction-to-event transformation' have been introduced and are being discussed.
  • Difference between Access point and Access Link explained:
    • AccessLink is between the device pin and the network, like the DPIC shown previously in P1687.1 examples. An AccessLink may be a client/host interface and in the STAM case there may be a number involved as you move through the hierarchy.
    • Access Point is where some entity gains access to the network, a point in the hierarchy where a transformation is occurring. There may be multiple Access Points within an Access Link: AN AccessLink will always have an associated Access Point, but and Access Point need not be associated with an AccessLink.
    • An AccessLink is where there is a defined interface, and Access Point may be inside of an FPGA.  1149.1 is an example of an AccessLink, per the definition from the 1687 standard.
    • IEEE 1687 only has 1149.1 defined as an AccessLink although there is also a generic AccessLink that the user can define.
    • Needs to be clear that STAM includes more than just 1149.1.
  • 'Chip' vs 'device' vs 'component' vs 'package', etc. was debated. It is obvious that there is no universal terminology that unambiguously indicates the assembly level of the subject (e.g. die, board-mountable part, etc.); perhaps 'Integrated Circuit' gets closest to representing a packaged part that can be board mounted. May need to think in terms of 'compliance', e.g a SoC might give you access to a compliant entity contained within the SoC.
  • To save time, the group should look through the remainder of Brad's slides (link above) prior to the next meeting {ACTION}.

6 b) ITC Poster abstract

6 c) AutoTestCon material

  • Not discussed due to lack of time.

7. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 14}
  • None.

8. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None.

9. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15 meeting

10. Schedule next meeting

  • June 17, 2019
    • Eric may be travelling.

11. Topic for next meeting

  • AutoTestCon material
  • ITC Poster
  • Glossary

12. Reminders

  • None.

13. List New Action Items

  • [21.1] All: Review Brad's glossary slides.

14. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Peter.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:11 PM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh