Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.19, 2019-05-13

Meeting called to order: 11:05 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_19.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments) (joined 11:19)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (Arm)
Rakesh Kumar (Ampere Computing)
Erik Larsson (Lund University)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Brad Van Treuren (No affiliation)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
---

2. Agenda

Brad moved to accept the agenda as proposed, seconded by Carl, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent slides reviewed.
    • Discussion ongoing between TTSC and IEEE regarding "grandfathering" of patent Letters of Authority granted to existing standards, i.e. does a standard which "leverages" another standard to which an LoA applies need a new LoA?

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • Meeting #18, May 6 (draft circulated May 6)
    • One correction in 10, delete reference to Terry being absent this week.
    • Eric moved to approve as amended, Brad seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Discussion Topics

6 a) ITC Poster outline

  • The 2018 poster layout was reviewed (http://files.sjtag.org/ITC2018/ITC_2018v4.pdf) {shared}.
    • Timeline is still relevant, "Stack" could be removed, possibly don't need to re-state Scope/Purpose/Need again.
    • Could re-use or adapt some diagrams from the TESTA presentation (http://files.sjtag.org/TESTA2019/TESTA_STAM_6_May.pptx) {shared}:
      • #15, "Transition points in hierarchy":  May want to adjust/remove some text, focus on what is significant in each of the two cases shown, find a way to highlight what the yellow/green braces are trying to represent.
      • #14, "Board test use model: JTAG and USB". Should be a newer version that the one used in this meeting.
      • Something to show use cases. The Venn diagram from #11 could be used if it were simplified by removing some of the uses or generalising some together. An alternative Use Case diagram from the SJTAG brochure {shared} was suggested, but the simplified Venn was preferred. Al Crouch had previously suggested some other items that could have been added to the Reliability loop {email shared} which currently looks very empty.
  • Embedded JTAG, being structural, gives better understanding of fault coverage than functional test and can offer means to independently determine the criticality of a fault.
  • Jan asked to have the original file for the 2018 poster in order to try a reworking. Ian will supply the file {ACTION}.
  • We can possibly replace the "SJTAG" logo with the "P2654" version, however the www.sjtag.org link will need to remain (noted that IEEE "Grouper" sites are no longer offered). 

6 b) Review of P1687.1 glossary proposals

  • Revisions to our proposed definitions from 1687.1 group:
    • Events: A lot of discussion around this; while our proposal (when the hardware gets updated from the model) was valid it was noted that an event could be anything that causes a re-evaluation of the model. These are different "events" so we may want qualifiers.
    • Pattern Retargetting: The instrument uses the same interface and protocol, e.g. the data for 1687 instrument may be only a small part of the overall vector that is passed through the 1149.1 interface of the device. 
  • As there was no disagreement with the revised definitions, this probably closes action SG21.1.

7. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 13}
  • Autotestcon paper needs to be discussed. May use a little time after this meeting if people are available.

8. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None.

9. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • See 6b.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation, Retargetting.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8 meeting.
    • "Event", "Retargeter", "Access Interface", Access Point", "Virtual Access Point" as proposed at April 15 meeting

10. Schedule next meeting

  • May 20, 2019
    • Ian, Terry and Heiko all out. Could hold informal meeting: would not be able to conduct any formal business (e.g. take decisions on behalf of the group) but could use the time to work on material for Autotestcon or ITC.
    • Ian will be absent May 20, 27, Terry May 20.
    • Heiko will be absent May 20, June 3, 10.

11. Topic for next meeting

  • Autotestcon paper
  • ITC Poster outline

12. Reminders

  • None.

13. List New Action Items

  • 19.1 - Ian: Supply Jan with original Publisher file for 2018 ITC Poster.

14. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Carl.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:10 PM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh