Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.10, 2019-03-04

Meeting called to order: 11:05 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_10.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics) (joined 11:08)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Firecron Ltd.)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (Arm) (joined 11:18)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Brad Van Treuren (Nokia)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)

2. Agenda

Brian moved to accept the agenda as proposed, seconded by Terry, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent slides reviewed.
    • No comments.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • Meeting #9, February 25 (updated draft circulated February 27)
    • No further corrections noted.
    • Terry moved to approve, Jon seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 11}
  • [SG21.1] Brad: Supply Ian with glossary definitions used by 1687.1 for "transformation" and "retargeting".
    • ONGOING.
  • [8.1] Brad, Terry: Draft UML diagram of transactions for a simple use case.
    • See 6b - COMPLETE.
  • Action Item Register: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/ActionItemRegister.xlsx

6. Discussion Topics

6 a) Update on WG Elections {Slide 12}

  • There are candidates for every office. Intention is to commence the voting period on March 11, concluding March 24 with results announced the following week.
  • Nominees are:
    • Secretary: Carl Walker
    • Editor: Eric Cormack
    • Vice-Chair: Terry Duepner, Naveen Srivastava, Heiko Ehrenberg
    • Chair: Ian McIntosh
  • Some positions have only a single candidate, but the election process should still be run for these cases. In all cases "abstain" is a valid vote and a majority of voting members need to cast votes for each office. 

6 b) Top-down and bottom-up: Review and develop diagram {Slide 13}

  • The diagram prepared last week was included for reference {slide 14}.
  • Slides 15 through 24 are slides that Brad had intended to present at the previous meeting. Brad first wanted to present some slides originating from Jeff Rearick in the P1687.1 meeting - slides 3 through 9 of http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P1687.1_framework_proposal_20190219.pptx {shared}.
    • Passing parameters in iProcs was not considered in existing PDL.
    • An example of an "interactive operation" might be SERDES link tuning, where the data sent to a register will depend on the result of the previous tuning step.
    • PDL level 0 and level 1 are insufficient, e.g. lack flow control. TCL can provide some of what is needed but a) we don't need all of TCL, and b) TCL's extensibility means that you cannot be sure what the available command set is.
    • When we make the query (as per slide 14 from last week) is that run-time query or something that is stored in the description?
    • The arrangement in slide 9 could have multiple instances, e.g. one such arrangement to set-up a test and a completely different one to read the result.
    • Slide 9 is related to the Static ATE case.  Possibly a further case to develop a "dynamic" equivalent. In the embedded scenario, resources may be too limited to support that, however the diagram could also apply to externally driven tests where resources are more readily available.
  • Returned to main slide pack to start on describing the Use Case diagrams (slides 15 through 17 only, due to lack of time).
  • Group encouraged to look at remaining slides in preparation for next week.

7. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 25}
  • Two presentation opportunities: TESTA workshop within ETS'19 and AutoTestCon. Jan is attending ETS and Louis (possibly Heiko) will attend AutoTestCon.
  • TESTA's focus is on the discussion aspects rather than the presentation, which may be broad overview. May give useful feedback.
  • AutoTestCon paper is not due until June. May be able to show use cases that are relevant to system test attendees.
  • Possibly use the same, or very similar, extended abstracts for both events. As the actual conferences are some months apart (ETS in May, AutoTestCon in August) the actual content will have time to evolve between presentations.
  • Louis will lead in preparing an abstract, with assistance from the group, particularly Brad and Heiko.

8. Today's Key Takeaways

  • Use models and Use cases are important to understanding scope.

9. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation, Retargetting.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.

10. Schedule next meeting

  • March 11, 2019.

11. Topic for next meeting

  • Top-down and bottom-up: Further review and discussion of diagrams.

12. Reminders

  • None.

13. List New Action Items

  • None.

14. Adjourn

  • Brad moved to adjourn, seconded by Carl.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:09 PM EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh