Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.9, 2019-02-25

Meeting called to order: 11:06 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_9.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Firecron Ltd.)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (Arm)
Adam W. Ley (ASSET InterTech) (left 11:21)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
Brad Van Treuren

Excused:
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Brad Van Treuren (Nokia)
Jon Stewart (Dell)

2. Agenda

Carl moved to accept the agenda as proposed, seconded by Terry, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent slides reviewed.
    • No comments.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • Meeting #8, February 18 (draft circulated February 18)
    • No corrections noted.
    • Terry moved to approve, Carl seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 11}
  • [SG21.1] Brad: Supply Ian with glossary definitions used by 1687.1 for "transformation" and "retargeting".
    • ONGOING.
  • [8.1] Brad, Terry: Draft UML diagram of transactions for a simple use case.
    • No progress, ONGOING.
  • Action Item Register: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/ActionItemRegister.xlsx

6. Discussion Topics

6 a) Update on WG Elections {Slide 12}

  • One position, Editor, has potential to have no nominees. There is still time for some negotiation between nominees to fill all roles, but the EOs will shortly be emailing to get firmed up acceptances.
  • Should the Editor position have no eligible nominees, then it would be best to seek Adam Cron's guidance, but it is believed that the Editor is probably not an essential role at this time and if there is no elected officer then the Chair may appoint an Editor when such time arises that an Editor is needed.
  • For clarification, nominees do not need to be IEEE-SA members to stand for election but must be willing to take such membership should they be elected to office.  
  • Descriptions of the officer roles are in section 3.4 of the P&P {shared} - The P&P document can be found on the website under the "Members" menu.

6 b) Top-down and bottom-up: Review and develop diagram {Slide 13}

  • As there was no prepared diagram to review, a new slide was created in order to make a start on sketching {slide 14}.
  • Lower level might have e.g. JTAG but higher level might have no way to use it, although it could ask something like "If you have a Memory Test, then give me that".
  • There could be (should be?) a minimum command set to be compliant.
  • Appears to be an assumption of some level of sentience in the lower level to be able to respond {post meeting comments from Brad: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/Meeting_9_addendum.txt}. This may be a limitation in how deep the querying can go (and the diagram would need to be extended to show how recursion through further levels affects the sequence of events).
  • Comparison with e.g. maintainability standards around servers:
    • "You will provide this information..."
    • Simple when there's a CPU on the board.
    • If no CPU, then it could be set up to give equivalent information via register access.
    • CPUs may be in a hierarchy.
  • Gives the lower level some control over it's IP.
  • What is 'X'? Do we define it as a test or a test with certain conditions applied? Maybe doesn't matter at this stage. May not be "a test" may be an instruction to accept some data that is then observed via an entirely different path. There may not be a "result", perhaps just a "done" indication and there may be a more complex response with ongoing communication.
  • Could there be multiple upper layers?  It seems more likely to have many lower layers below a single upper layer but it's not impossible. Test and mission functions could be running alongside each other and perhaps competing for access to the same instruments. May need some sort of mutual exclusion flag to say that a resource is in use.

7. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 15}
  • None.

8. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None.

9. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation, Retargetting.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.

10. Schedule next meeting

  • March 4, 2019.

11. Topic for next meeting

  • Top-down and bottom-up: Further review and development of diagram.

12. Reminders

  • None.

13. List New Action Items

  • None.

14. Adjourn

  • Peter moved to adjourn, seconded by Terry.
  • Meeting adjourned at 11:56 AM EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh