Minutes of Weekly Meeting, 2015-04-06

Meeting called to order: 11:06 AM EDT

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh
Carl Walker
Brad Van Treuren
Bill Eklow
Brian Erickson
Tim Pender
Heiko Ehrenberg (joined at 11:11 AM)
Adam Ley (joined at 11:13 AM)

Excused:
Eric Cormack
Peter Horwood
Michele Portolan

2. Review and approve previous minutes:

3/30/2015 minutes (draft circulated 3/30/2015):

  • No corrections noted;
  • moved to approve by Brian, second by Tim;
    • No objections or abstentions -> minutes approved.

3. Review old action items

  • All: do we feel SJTAG is requiring a new test language to obtain the information needed for diagnostics or is STAPL/SVF sufficient? See also Gunnar's presentation, in particular the new information he'd be looking for in a test language (http://files.sjtag.org/Ericsson-Nov2006/STAPL-Ideas.pdf)
  • Ian: Add the previously discussed lists to the 'master' template. Ongoing.
    • Some sections need further expansion that may take time to develop.
  • Ian: Apply Green Paper updates to draft on website. COMPLETE
  • Brad: Supply Ian with copies of figures for Green Paper (to home email address). COMPLETE

4. Reminders

  • Consider Adam's three points (from the action from the first weekly meeting) and suggest what is preventing us from answering those questions:
    • Establish consensus on goals and constraints
    • What are we trying to achieve?
    • What restrictions are we faced with?
  • Forum thread for discussion: http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=172

5. Discussion Topics

a. Green Paper feedback and Newsletter.

  • Green Paper
  • {"Final" Green Paper shared from website}
  • Ian is forced to use Internet Explorer 8 in the office which does not render correctly in some areas.  Mostly these are not noticeable.
  • Latest suggested amendments from Heiko have been incorporated.  No further comments have been submitted.
  • Captions under figures have no space below - probably an IE8 issue as Ian couldn't recall seeing this problem at home.  Ian will check on this before publishing the Green Paper {ACTION}.
  • Brad thought the caption under Figure 6 wasn't centred.  In fact, the captions are locked to the figures, which are centred, but the captions then float to the left edge of the figure.  This is more noticeable in the case of Figure 6.  Ian thought this could be corrected in the Style Sheet for the website and would check to see if it was easily fixed {ACTION}.  Brad didn't feel it was critical for release, if it was difficult to correct.
  • A suggestion was made to offer a PDF download if anyone has difficulties viewing the article on the website.  This could be done, if required.
  • Tim wondered if the 'a)', 'b)' and 'c)' in Figure 7 should also appear in the caption. This figure is taken directly from the D&T article (reference 4) where it is explained more fully.  The Green Paper only makes high level reference to it. a) is the original model, b) is the binary tree and c) is the resultant scan order.  Conclusion was that it's probably better to leave it as is at this point.
  • Tim asked about the possibility of bypassing an instrument, as shown in Figure 7: Brad said this was possible - "turn off" the instrument then everything in the tree below it becomes invisible.
  • Brad moves to approve publication of the Green Paper, pending the above actions (where feasible), seconded Brian.  No objections or abstentions -> Green Paper accepted for publication. 
  • Newsletter
  • {Draft newsletter shared}
  • Text updated to reflect the Green Paper edits in the main article and the images in the side bar have been updated.  Other than those changes, the content is just as presented at the previous meeting.
  • Brad asked if the Green Papers were useful for the community.  Ian felt that the Newsletters helped us stay in touch with the SJTAG fringe community (who may never visit the website) and without the Green Papers we may not have anything to put in the Newsletter.  Although there may not be a lot of feedback, there has been some that shows there people interested outside of our immediate group.
  • Brad asked if it was hoped that the forums would be used for follow up discussions.  Ian thought that was possible but if promoted on LinkedIn then that effectively opens up a thread there.  Others may choose to use email, but in any case, needing to sign up for the forums might be too much of a barrier to most people.
  • The Green Paper will be issued before the Newsletter is distributed, so that the links in the Newsletter are valid at the time of receipt.
  • Brad moves to approve publication of the Newsletter as is, seconded Tim.  No objections or abstentions -> Newsletter accepted for publication.  Ian will send it out later in the week.

b. Revisit draft PAR statements - continuation,.

  • {Not discussed}

c. Topic for next call

  • Bill wondered how many people were familiar with the PAR document and suggested that attempting to fill that out might help to condense the essentials as there were limitations imposed.
  • Brad noted that a number of previous drafts of Scope and Purpose have existed and this may be a good time to revisit that.  We've already recognised some things in the current texts that are out-of-date.

6. Key Takeaway for today's meeting

  • None.

7. Glossary terms from this meeting

  • None.

8. Schedule next meeting

  • Next meeting April 13.
  • April schedule: 13, 20, 27.

9. Any other business

  • ITC: Bill mentioned options for an AIT or Embedded Tutorial on SJTAG at ITC.  Ian agreed that we needed to get some solid ideas on what we were doing for ITC, but was also aware of the difficulty of getting presenters. 

10. Review new action items

  • Ian: Check spacing below captions on up-to-date browsers.
  • Ian: Determine if captions can easily be centred properly.

11. Adjourn

Moved to adjourn by Bill, second by Brian. Meeting adjourned at 11:45 AM EDT.

Thanks to Heiko for providing supplementary notes this week.

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh