Minutes of Weekly Meeting, 2011-09-26

called to order at 11:08am EDT

1. Roll Call

Attendees:
Heiko Ehrenberg (lost audio connection around 11:30am)
Carl Walker
Adam Ley
Brian Erickson
Tim Pender (joined around 11:15am)
Harrison Miles (joined around 11:20am)

Excused Absence:
Ian McIntosh
Brad Van Treuren

2. Review and approve previous minutes:

08/29/2011 minutes (draft circulated 08/29/2011)
approval postponed (no quorum)

09/12/2011 minutes (draft circulated 09/12/2011)
correction: add Richard and Peter as excused absence, as they informed Ian of a conflict prior to the call;
moved to approve by Carl, seconded by Adam
no objections -> approved with corrections

3. Review old action items:

  • Adam proposed we cover the following at the next meeting:
    • Establish consensus on goals and constraints
    • What are we trying to achieve?
    • What restrictions are we faced with?
  • All: do we feel SJTAG is requiring a new test language to obtain the information needed for diagnostics or is STAPL/SVF sufficient? see also Gunnar's presentation, in particular the new information he'd be looking for in a test language
    (http://files.sjtag.org/Ericsson-Nov2006/STAPL-Ideas.pdf)
  • Ian/Brad: Condense gateway comments and queries into a concise set of questions. - Ongoing
  • All: Forward text file to Ian containing keywords from review of meeting minutes. - Ongoing.
  • Carl/Brad: Get annotated keyword worksheets to Ian by Wednesday Close of Business. - Ongoing
  • All: Consider how a keyword can be used to define the chain configuration for a given test step, and what that keyword might be.
  • Ian: Circulate proposal for offline approval of outstanding meeting minutes.

4. Discussion Topics

  1. Re-establish basic objectives of the group
    - Review the original foundation material and consider if it is still relevant or what has changed. (EBTW 2005 - http://files.sjtag.org/EBTW2005/EBTW05-SJTAG-Meeting.pdf)
    - Consider who will benefit from an STJAG standard.
    • [Ian, via email prior to the meeting] Following some the discussions I've had with some of the guys at {this year's} ITC, I think we need to regain a little focus, so I'd like to drop the line we've been following recently and more or less go back to first priciples of why this group began.
      What I'd like to see happen is for all of the group to review the original material from EBTW 2005 (a link is given below), and consider how relevant or otherwise the viewpoints held then are in today's world: Technologies and tools have changed since then and what may have seemed like a problem 6 years ago may not be a real problem now. Conversely, new technologies may have brought with it problems not foreseen in 2005. Some of the other old material may be of interest too, e.g. EBTW 2006. All of it can be found on the SJTAG website, by following the menu bar link for "Stored Documents" - http://www.sjtag.org/documents.html
    • {Heiko shared the slides from the EBTW 2005 meeting}
    • only a few on the call had reviewed the slides prior to the meeting;
    • Heiko briefly went through the first part of the slide set, discussing some of the problems with system level JTAG applications pointed out at the BTW2005 meeting;
    • After half way through the meeting Heiko lost his audio connection and was not able to dial back in; the remaining participants continued to review the slides but the general consensus was that people were not ready to discuss them in detail to further the effort of creating a list of points that need to be included in the first SJTAG specification;
    • Carl suggested that everyone use the pointer in Ian’s email from last Thursday (9-22-11) to find the slides (EBTW 2005 slide set on http://www.sjtag.org/documents.html) and review them in detail before our next meeting on October 3rd.
    • Each member should view this material with an eye towards creation of a list of points as mentioned above.
    • Carl has contacted Bill Eklow of Cisco in an effort to obtain his views on the subject.
    • [Ian, via email prior to the meeting] Next up is to consider who the real recipients of an SJTAG standard would be: If we know who we expect to benefit from the standard, then it should be easier to identify what the standard needs to describe. Remember that "End Users" rarely need to know anything about standards; they generally just need to know that when they put compliant things together it will work (e.g. you don't need to know the details in IEEE std 802.3 to be able to use Ethernet - you expect the hardware and software you bought to do have dealt with that for you).
    • {no discussion during our meeting}

5. Key Takeaway for today’s meeting

none

6. Schedule next meeting

October 3

7. Any other business

none

8. Review new action items

  • All to review EBTW 2005 slide set on http://www.sjtag.org/documents.html with an eye towards creation of a list of points that need to be included in the first SJTAG specification;

9. Adjourn

Tim moved to adjourn, seconded by Harrison;
Adjourned at 11:37 AM EDT